Year 2 - 15

After the nightmare incident two days ago, Professor Snape and Draco both kept a watchful eye on Cassiopeia. Not that they weren't worried before, but now they were even more worried. It also had been a time for many students to attempt to find out more about the Chamber of Secrets, what it is, and what harmed Mrs Norris. However, never once is it mentioned in Hogwarts: A History, which many people had been checking out of the library to read. However, with the fact that the only one injured has been a cat, so far, no one has become too worried. No one, except Cassiopeia. Her knowing that there are going to be seven more victims was breaking her slowly. Piece by piece. Day by day. She was finding it harder to keep her secrets of the dreams but knew she must or people would think it was her. So, she kept it a secret from her friends, family, peers, role models, professors, even her godfather.

"Can I have your attention, please?" Professor McGonagall asked, walking around her desk at the beginning of the transfiguration lesson, of the second years. "now today, we are going to be turning animals into water goblets. Like so. One, two, three, Vera Verto" She enchanted, and the bird on her desk turned into a clear water goblet. She then looked around the classroom. "Now it's your turn. Who would like to go first? Ah, Ms Reid. One, two, three Vera Verto." She said, coming up to Cassiopeia and Amelia's desk. Cassiopeia nodded, and took out her wand and pointed it at Liberty. She tapped Liberty three times before incanting.

"Vera Verto." And in a second, Liberty turned into a water goblet.

"Well done, Ms Reid. First time, as well. Ten points to Slytherin." Professor McGonagall replied with a small smile, she then undid the spell and Liberty was an owl once again. She then turned to Ron. "Mr Weasley. One, two, three, Vera Verto." She told him. He nodded and did the same incantation as Cassiopeia. But it didn't go the same way. Scabbers, his rat, turned into a furry goblet with a tail. Everyone laughed. "That wand needs replacing, Mr Weasley." Hermione then raised her hand. "Yes, Ms Granger?"

"Professor, I was hoping you could tell us about the Chamber of Secrets." She said, at this everyones' attention was on the Professor.

"Very well, well you all know, of course, that Hogwarts was founded almost a thousand years ago by the four greatest witches and wizards of the age. Godric Gryffindor, Helga Hufflepuff, Rowena Ravenclaw, and Salazar Slytherin. Now, three of the founders co-existed quite harmoniously. One, however, did not. Salazar Slytherin wished to be more selective about the students admitted to Hogwarts. He believed magical learning should be kept within all magic families, in other words Pure-bloods. Unable to sway the others, he decided to leave the school. Now, according to legends, Slytherin had built a hidden chamber in this castle, known as the Chamber of Secrets. Though, shortly before departing, he sealed it. Until that time, when his own true heir would return to the school. The heir alone would be able to enter the chamber. And unleash the horror within, and by so doing, purge the school of all those who, in Slytherin's view, were unworthy to study magic."

"Muggle-borns." Hermione said. Professor McGonagall nodded.

"Well, naturally the school has been searched many of times, but no such chamber has been found." She finished.

"Professor, what exactly does legend tell us, lies within the chamber?" Hermione asked.

"The chamber is said to be home of something, only the heir of Slytherin can control. It is said to be the home of a monster" Professor McGonagall finished. There was silence among the class. Ron turned to see Draco smirking, while Cassiopeia was looking at her hands. She was an heir of Slytherin. Her father was an heir of Slytherin, and now so was she. She hadn't noticed that people were leaving the class, until she felt a hand on her shoulder. She looked up to see Draco looking at her in worry. She gave him a weak smile and followed him from the classroom.

~*~

Meanwhile, Amelia was walking with the golden trio discussing what they had just heard.

"Do you really think there could be such a thing?" Ron asked the group.

"Of course, didn't you see McGonagall's face. She's worried, all the teachers are." Hermione replied.

"But if there really is a chamber, and it has been opened, then that means-" Harry started

"The heir of Slytherin has returned to Hogwarts. But the question is, who is it?" Amelia asked.

"Let's think. Who thinks all Muggle-borns are scum?" Ron replied.

"If you're talking about Malfoy-" Hermione said.

"Of course, you heard him. 'You'll be next mud-bloods'." Ron replied.

"I heard him." Hermione replied.

"Well, I mean maybe Ron's right, Hermione. Think about it, his family has been in Slytherin for generations." Harry replied.

"Yeah, but so have many other Slytherins. Are you going to think I'm the heir?" Amelia replied. They shook their heads.

"Crabbe and Goyle'll know. Maybe we could trick them into telling us." Ron said.

"Even they're not that thick." Hermione said. "Mind you, it would be dangerous and breaking about fifty school rules. And it'll be dangerous. Very dangerous." Hermione replied. Together the group then made their way to the library, searching for a book. Hermione found it and brought it back to the table.

"This is it, the Polyjuice potion, it enables the drinker to transform themselves into the physical form of another." Hermione read out.

"You mean, if we drink that stuff, Harry and I will turn into Crabbe and Goyle?" Ron asked. Hermione and Amelia nodded. "Wicked, Malfoy will tell us anything."

"But it's tricky, I've never seen a more complicated potion." Hermione said.

"How long will it take to make?" Harry asked.

"A month." Amelia said.

"A month?" Harry exclaimed. "But, if Malfoy is the heir of Slytherin, he could've attacked half the muggle-borns in the school by then."

"We know." Hermione and Amelia replied.

"But it's the best plan we've got." Hermione added.

"Should we involve Cass?" Amelia asked. They looked to each other.

"I don't think that's the best idea." Ron said. "You've seen how close she is with Malfoy. I think we should keep her out of this for now."

"Fine." Amelia replied. 

-----***-----

Thanks for reading

-Zoe