XI- expectations

"Oh, sweetheart!" Carmen dashed into the med bay. Going to hug (Y/n) but releasing her when she heard (Y/n) yelp in pain. "Shit, you okay?"

"I'm fine, mom, just don't hug me so tight." (Y/n) answered with a weak smile.

"I'm gonna kill whoever did this." Carmen said sincerely.

"Please don't, I don't even know who it was." (Y/n) frowned.

"Fine, but if they ever bother you again I'm going to slaughter them." The older woman promised and then turned towards Tia. "Oh, hi, I didn't see you there."

"I'm Tia, (Y/n)'s friend." She introduced herself.

"Wow, (Y/n)'s friend? We don't get a whole lot of those." Carmen raised an eyebrow.

"Mom." (Y/n) said sternly.

"Sorry, sorry, I'm only teasing." Her mom laughed. "Let's get you home."

(Y/n) nodded and got up. "You need a ride?" She asked Tia.

"I'm good, I'll see you tomorrow." Tia said. "Hope you feel a bit better."

(Y/n) offered Tia the same sentiment and then left the med bay with her mom.

"Okay, now that it's just the two of us, I could get a favour from my boss and get a hit put out on-"

"Mom. No."

(Y/n)'s main objective when she came to school the next day was to avoid Padgett at all costs.

The pain had mostly subsided though it would spike when she exerted herself or touched it.

As she walked the halls it became apparent that neither Fiona nor Padgett had spoken about what had happened. It would've been bad for their reputation for people to know that Fiona had got utterly destroyed by some irrelevant junior.

So the reason for Fiona's broken leg was shrouded in mystery for all but (Y/n), Tia and Padgett.

There was a positive side to it though. With everyone talking about what could have happened to Fiona's leg, (Y/n)'s outburst in the cafeteria yesterday had gone mostly forgotten.

To all except Gianni.

He wanted to speak to (Y/n) and let her know that he was sorry for what he did. They didn't have a class together until the afternoon in the form of art so he waited patiently for art to roll around.

"... I expect your final projects to be done before the deadline. We don't want a repeat of last time when a certain few students thought this deadline was a mere suggestion." Mrs Holliday, their art teacher, finished off the lesson. As soon as she dismissed them, Gianni made his way over to (Y/n).

"Hey." He said with a small smile.

"What?" (Y/n) didn't return him with the same courtesy.

"Look, I understand that you're mad at me but I want to talk this through." He hoped she'd agree.

"Why? What do you get out that?" (Y/n) questioned as she collected her stuff together. "Are you just going to embarrass me again?"

Gianni sighed. "I really regret what I did, okay? When we talked at my dad's event you seemed really cool and I'd really like to actually be friends with you."

He didn't even fully know why he was doing this exactly. Before the event he hadn't given (Y/n) a spare thought, but now he felt some undeniable pull towards her. It was something that he'd never experienced before, he was never one to chase a girl.

It didn't even feel romantic, it was just some primitive need to be around her.

"I'm not sure I'd exactly get along with your friends." (Y/n) spat.

"I-"

"And I don't think Padgett would be very happy about it either." She continued.

"Padgett? Why would Padgett care? She's dating your brother." Gianni couldn't imagine that his ex had any lingering feelings.

"I would love to know why she cares so much." (Y/n) placed her books down on the table. "But she gave me this as a warning to stay away."

She lifted the bottom of her shirt up just enough to show the nasty purple bruise that covered her midriff.

Gianni took a small step back. Something in his brain lit up, the urge to protect (Y/n) and get revenge on Padgett. "Shit... I'm sorry she did that." He tried to bury that feeling within him, allowing it to boil underneath the surface.

"It's not your fault." (Y/n) lowered her shirt when she saw Gianni's hand inching out to touch it. "So even if I wanted to hang out with you. I don't really want to get beat up again."

"I won't let her do that." Gianni said quickly. "I won't let her."

(Y/n) thought on his words carefully. She did already have Tia around who seemed to ward off Padgett quite nicely but there was the slight weakness that Tia wasn't in any of her classes since she was a junior.

"Can I think about it?" (Y/n) picked up her stuff again and began to walk away.

Gianni smiled brightly at her answer. "I'll see you tomorrow, pal."

She laughed lightly a shook her head at the tag he'd given her. "Have a good one, buddy." She called back as she left.

"Promise me you won't ditch me for him, yeah?" Tia elbowed (Y/n) as they walked back to (Y/n)'s house.

"Promise. I don't think it'll last that long anyway." (Y/n) said casually.

"Funny, just a few days ago we bonded over not liking this guy and now the tiger changes his stripes." The younger girl joked.

"Yeah, it's weird. I know it seems like an act, like he's gonna turn around and screw me over but something about it feels sincere." (Y/n) said thoughtfully. "Or I'm just really gullible. But hey he said he'd keep Padgett away from me."

"That's a bonus." Tia remarked. "But I thought we weren't telling people about what happened."

"I- I know we said that but he's kind of involved, right?" (Y/n) stammered, thinking over her decision to tell him about it.

"He's involved, I guess. But you need to make sure her keeps his mouth shut." Tia reminded her.

"Will do." (Y/n) saw the turning for her house coming up ahead. "I'm just over there on the left."

"Oh, I gotta go straight ahead. Call me later?"

"Will do." (Y/n) said as she parted ways with Tia.

Gianni turned off his phone notifications when he got home as he often did to prevent the floods of texts he'd receive.

He pulled out some homework and mindlessly worked through the math worksheet. He couldn't fully concentrate with his mind on (Y/n) and more specifically what Padgett had done to her.

He had this implacable rage that coursed through him whenever he thought about (Y/n) getting hurt. It made him want to... hurt Padgett.

But that was insane. He wasn't the type to ever physically fight someone, especially not his ex girlfriend.

So he pushed the feeling far down within him, but the further he distanced himself from it the more it seemed to grow.

He guessed it was some warped form of pity. He felt partially responsible for what Padgett did and was only trying to pass that responsibility on.

That had to be it.

Because if it wasn't then that would just complicate the hell out of both of their lives.