XXXI- manipulation

(Y/n) now felt guilty for two reasons.

Not only had she ditched Padgett whilst she was high but she was also skipping school. It certainly wasn't a good look and (Y/n) reminded herself not to make behaviour like this a habit.

She was sitting on an armchair in Gianni's room as he finished off a conversation with his au pair to explain why he wasn't in school and had brought this random girl home.

He entered shortly after and gave (Y/n) a thumbs up. "Michelle said she'd cover for me."

"Great." (Y/n) smiled. "Any reason in particular that we're not going to classes or are you just tired of school because I can't blame you."

"There is a reason, actually." Gianni felt bad that he was acting so controlling but he couldn't help it, he needed to keep (Y/n) safe and as far as he was concerned- Padgett was a glaring danger. "I don't think you should be friends with Padgett."

(Y/n) scrunched up her nose, confused by his words. "We're not friends, trust me. She... asked me to get her some ecstacy and I said I'd give her a pill. That was all we were doing."

"But she's at your house all the time. I think it's important that you know that she's bad news." He spoke with a stern tone, even though (Y/n) was responding to his wants better than he'd expected.

"I know she's bad news, okay? We hardly even talk when she's at my place." (Y/n) dismissed his worries. "Look, I understand where you're coming from. She's your ex and she did hurt me a while back but I honestly don't see the two of us ever being friends."

Gianni sat down next to (Y/n) as she continued.

"Besides, I think she and Ronan are headed for a break up." (Y/n) told him.

"You think?" Gianni felt a hint of excitement at the notion, the only things that were really keeping (Y/n) and Padgett in contact were Ronan and Orlando. This would get one of them out of the way with little effort on Gianni's part. "How come?"

"Padgett and I..." (Y/n) questioned if she was actually going to tell Gianni about Padgett's infidelity. She may as well, he wasn't exactly going to tell either of them. "Okay, you cannot tell anyone what I'm about to tell you."

Gianni's breath hitched. It was something bad he could just... tell. Had Padgett hurt her again? He wasn't sure his heart would be able to stand that.

He brushed the thought away. If (Y/n) had got hurt then he'd notice, there's no way he wouldn't... right?

"I won't tell a soul." He promised.

(Y/n) let out a deep sigh before speaking. "Padgett and I may have kissed... twice. We were on ecstacy both times, well, kind of. The first time we had taken it but it wasn't in effect but maybe it was, but I didn't even kiss back for the first time-" She suddenly stopped speaking and took another breath.

Gianni's expression was completely unreadable so she kept going.

"I feel so terrible about it. She cheated on him with me. I'm his sister for fuck's sake! I'm supposed to be supportive not tearing his relationship apart!" (Y/n) pushed her face into her hands, all this guilt was growing to be too overwhelming for her.

Gianni was just frozen. Padgett had a funny way of constantly giving him new reasons to hate her. Of course she would do this. Only she would do shit like this. He wasn't sure if her actions were meant as a strike against him, genuine interest in (Y/n) or some other backwards reasoning that could only possibly make sense in her own head.

He wanted to punch something... no, not just something. He wanted to punch someone. That someone being Padgett. But he held himself back for (Y/n)'s sake.

"I'm really sorry she manipulated you like that." He rubbed his hand over her back comfortingly. "You...made an honest mistake, she on the other hand..."

"I just can't bring myself to tell him." Hints of unshed tears showed in (Y/n)'s eyes, the sight broke Gianni's heart in an instant.

"Then don't. If there's any karmic retribution in the world then those two will split up in due time." He knew it wasn't the best or most moral advice but it was killing him to see (Y/n) concerning herself with something like this.

(Y/n) thought over his words, it was eerily similar to what Felix had told her to do. Though Gianni put it much more softly. Perhaps she should just stay in her lane and let Padgett and Ronan sort out their issues in their own way.

(Y/n) and Gianni wandered through the park whilst holding onto their ice cream cones. They had decided to make the most of their day off school.

"How did you even end up dating Padgett?" (Y/n) asked him while thinking over the girl.

Gianni furrowed his eyebrows, his time in his one and only relationship wasn't one he liked to think about. "I guess it felt obligatory at the time. I found out that she had a thing for me and it was exciting, you know? She was this beautiful, popular girl so I figured I'd give it a go." He explained as they walked.

"Did you love her?" (Y/n) inquired.

It pained him to think of any time when (Y/n) wasn't in his life but honesty was key in any relationship. "...I don't know... maybe at some point? It was always complicated between us. I've always wanted to wait until marriage before doing anything sexual just because it's how my parents did it. She... didn't want that. There was a lot of pressure on her end and when I didn't give in she started seeing other guys."

"I'm really sorry." (Y/n) took hold of Gianni'a hand comfortingly and gave it a small squeeze. He was surprised he didn't melt on the spot from the small show of affection.

"A-anyway, I brushed it off for a while and told myself that she would get over it and that it was my fault for not putting out. But then we just started fighting so much, she was cruel to me and I'm ashamed to say that I was cruel to her too." He felt a weight lifting off his shoulders as he confided in (Y/n). "She met my parents and they hated her so that pretty much was the nail in the coffin."

(Y/n) looked up to him sorrowfully, unsure of what to say. "Your ice-cream is melting." She mentioned to lighten the mood.

"Oh, shit." He tried to salvage the ice cream that was now dripping over his fingers, but in his efforts the whole thing dropped to the floor.

They shared a concerned look but then both began to snicker at the instance.

But the dropped ice cream, the old memories, the skipped classes were all more than worth it when he spotted the small smile of (Y/n)'s face.