IX- confrontational

(Y/n)'s heart was rattling loudly against her chest as every single pair of eyes in the cafeteria stared her down.

The instant regret told her to get down but that would arguably be even more mortifying than anything she could say.

"I have something I need to say." She put most of her concentration into faking some confidence, she didn't want her legs to shake or words to falter.

She cleared her throat before continuing and looked across the hall at the table that sat Gianni, Chip, Arthur and Josef.

"Gianni Carro. You are an asshole." (Y/n) thought she was about to cry from the amount of fear she felt but powered through.

"I can't believe I liked you. You know, anyone who has ever liked you only did because they don't know you. Not really. I thought I got to know you at the party but you denying it ever happened helped me to learn that you're just a fucking coward who prioritizes your reputation and your shitty friends over anything else." She was surprised at the fact that she was managing to keep her voice steady.

Gianni looked at the scene before him nervously. He knew she was right and what he had done was wrong. None of his friends seemed to clock that though as they scoffed to themselves.

"You really think that you run the school and maybe you do, but the second you graduate and leave those doors." She made harsh eye contact with him. "It's over for you."

(Y/n) didn't mean that in the typical sense where she was saying he'd end up some deadbeat selling gas. She knew that would never happen because of his father. She meant what only he and she knew about the fact that he was never going to see these people again. He'd finsih his education and then be trained up to take over from his dad.

Both (Y/n) and Gianni knew how these organisations operated. He was just a pawn that would eventually success his father, enter a loveless marriage, have kids, work till he drops dead and have one of his children take the torch from him.

"So, you can enjoy what little time you have left in the spotlight... but try not to ruin it for the rest of us." (Y/n) let out a deep breath, signifying her conclusion.

She got down from the table, the cafeteria still in mostly silence with only a few whispers here and there.

After giving the trays back to the people she'd taken them from, (Y/n) stormed out of the room. She had lost her appetite.

As the doors shut, Josef tentatively turned to Gianni. "Are you good?"

"Yeah." Gianni said monotonously. "Absolutely fine."

"I liked her better when she didn't speak." Chip joked, making Arthur cackle loudly.

"Shut up." Gianni mumbled, hitting at his food aimlessly with his cutlery as he thought over what (Y/n) had just said.

'Shit, shit, shit, shit, shit. What is wrong with me? Why did I say that??' Thoughts of this nature rattled around (Y/n)'s head as she paraded down the hall, intending to get as far away as possible from the cafeteria.

Any good reputation she could have possibly had was now buried into the depths of non-existence. But then again, did she really have much to lose in that department?

She took refuge outside, going to the bleachers where she hoped it would be empty at that time.

"God, I'm so stupid!" She yelled into the cold air.

"Who's stupid?"

(Y/n) instantly froze. 'Me. I'm a fucking idiot because I thought there would be no one out here.'

She looked around to see a face she vaguely recognised. It was a girl who she'd definitely seen around the halls but must have been in the year below her.

(Y/n) couldn't pin a name to the girl before her. She was definitely on the shorter side, that was obvious even when she was sitting down in the bleachers. Her hair had been badly dyed pink, with her natural brown roots showing.

Judging by the box of food in her lap, (Y/n) could hazard a guess that this girl was eating out here alone. (Y/n) wasn't exactly one to pass judgement for something like that.

"Oh, I didn't know you were out here." (Y/n) remarked quietly, preparing to retreat back inside... probably back to the restrooms.

"It's fine. You can stay if you want." The girl beamed.

"Um, thanks." It goes without saying that (Y/n)'s past forcefulness had quickly melted away.

"Don't thank me. I don't own the bleachers or anything." She snorted loudly at her own mediocre joke. "I'm Tia by the way."

(Y/n) nodded at Tia lightly. "(Y/n)." She introduced herself and went to sit down next to the younger girl.

"So, (Y/n), what brings you out here?" Tia asked whole pulling out a carrot sticks and taking a deliberate bite off the end after her question.

"I just made an absolute ass of myself in front of half the school." (Y/n) groaned regretfully. "I expect you'll be hearing all about it the second you go back inside."

"What did you do?" Tia questioned curiously.

"Fuck, I wish I didn't..." (Y/n) muttered.

"That wasn't my question."

"It doesn't matter." (Y/n) dismissed her.

"Come on, if I'm going to hear about it anyway then you may as well just tell me." Tia pleaded.

"Ugh, fine... I stood up on a table in the middle of lunch and basically told Gianni Carro to go fuck himself."

Tia's mouth opened in shock.

"I was angry, I got carried away and I understand that I shouldn't have-"

"That's so cool!" Tia squealed.

"...huh?"

It took (Y/n) a moment to register Tia's excited reaction.

"Gianni and all of those guys are just pricks. It's about time someone took them down a peg." Tia explained. "I think that it's pretty awesome that you did that."

"Well, it is basically social suicide. God, if I actually had friends they all would've dropped me like a hot potato the second I banged those trays together." (Y/n) lamented.

"Hey, I wouldn't do that if I was your friend." Tia pouted. "I can be your friend if you want. I don't really have very many but... but I'm sure you already guessed that much. But it seems like you don't either so..."

It wasn't the friend (Y/n) initially had in mind but Tia seemed very sweet and lively. Her energy and entire vibe was refreshing.

"Looks like you got yourself a friend, Tia."