LXXVIII- mourning

It was Monday and Gianni was standing outside of the school. Padgett's parents, Carmen and the school board had come together to set up an assembly for both of the girls to memorialize their tragic deaths.

He hadn't told (Y/n) this was happening and wasn't planning to, he hadn't been invited to her funeral but was honestly quite glad he wasn't since that would only tear him apart even more.

This was going to be a tough day.

Orlando held Tia's hand tightly. They were sitting on the steps outside of the school and she was sobbing into his shoulder.

"I can't do this!" She cried.

Orlando was trying to be strong for his younger friend but was devasted on the inside. His best friend and his crush both mercilessly taken from the world within less than two months of each other.

"It's okay, Tia." He tried to soothe her.

Fiona was standing up next to them and just stared out at the students who filed in, not bothering to comfort either of her friends. She, Orlando and Padgett had been best friends for years but the two girls had the benefit of knowing each other for longer.

Fiona was actually the only person to know of Padgett's feelings for (Y/n) and she knew about Padgett's theory that Gianni had killed (Y/n). She wasn't sure if she believed it and thought that it was more Padgett trying to make sense of the meaningless of death, now Fiona found herself trying to make sense of Padgett's demise.

"Can you help me?" Orlando hissed quietly at Fiona in regards to Tia.

Fiona shrugged coldly and looked away.

"Gi." She used Padgett's nickname of Gianni as he walked by.

He stopped and slowly turned to the trio. Orlando averted his eyes from the boy in fear for having to relive his time in hospital.

"Yes?"

"How are you doing?" Fiona asked. When he and Padgett were together Fiona was on fairly good terms with Gianni and she hadn't really spoken to him since they broke up.

"It's hard." He said vaguely.

"Isn't it a coincidence that your two ex girlfriends are dead?" She tilted her head to the side innocently.

Before Gianni could say anything, Tia had started speaking. "Oh, come on, that was uncalled for. Can we all just be nice for today?" She said through tears.

Gianni gave Tia a grateful smile. "Yes, Fiona, it's a terrible coincidence and it's been really difficult for me."

"I bet." Fiona said through gritted teeth. She didn't really think he had anything to do with it but it was easier to believe that than to mull over the cruelty of Padgett's accident.

"Hey, we've got to go in." Chip walked up to Gianni and tried to nudge him inside.

"Yeah, you guys need to go in too." Gianni said to Padgett's close friends.

Orlando nodded in agreement and tried to get a wailing Tia to stand up as Fiona just glared Gianni down.

Ronan stood in the gym as some students filled up the seating. It had been so long since he was in school and in their position.

He tried to recite the breathing exercises that his therapist had taught him. Ronan never thought he'd need therapy but when (Y/n) died he just shut down.

He'd never forget that moment, the moment the police told him and Carmen what had happened. The sound of Carmen crying, a sound he'd never heard before, became a daily and heartbreaking occurance.

For the longest time, Carmen had been completely inconsolable and didn't speak to Ronan about it. They never spoke about anything serious like this.

A few weeks after she died, Padgett had shown up at the house and she and Ronan just talked for hours on end. Not all of it was about (Y/n), they just needed someone who understood what the other was going through.

No one had been a bigger mess than him, Carmen and Padgett so the three of them naturally spent a lot of time together.

It was clear that Padgett was trying to use (Y/n)'s family to try and feel close to her and it was possible that Carmen let Padgett hang around just to feel that presence of a teenage girl, someone who she could care for.

So when Padgett too had died, any progress that Ronan had made in grieving (Y/n) was reverted. His pain was doubled, he felt cursed.

Carmen didn't turn up for the memorial, she had been working to try and consume her mind and Ronan didn't blame her for it.

He was supposed to be giving a speech about (Y/n), he wanted to give one about Padgett too but her father had taken the liberty of doing that.

This pissed him off a bit since he knew that Padgett was never close with either of her parents.

It didn't matter though, he doubted he'd be able to get through just the one speech anyway.

"Hey." Gianni approached Ronan instead of going to sit down, there was still some time before the assembly began and Gianni intended to speak to (Y/n)'s family at some point, this seemed to be as good a time as any.

Ronan smiled sympathetically at Gianni, he didn't know the younger boy very well but he knew that he had made (Y/n) very happy when they were together and that he had also been fucked over by Padgett. "Hi, how are you holding up?"

Gianni shrugged, it was hard having everyone thinking (Y/n) was dead becuase it made him have to confront the feelings he'd feel when she did pass away, he could only hope that she outlived him so he'd never need to mourn her.

"I'm... alright, what about you?" He hoped that Ronan was well, Gianni did care about the feelings of others even if they weren't (Y/n). Ronan was someone who (Y/n) loved a lot and Gianni didn't want him to be sad.

"Oh man, it's just really... rough, it was so unexpected. I just... I hope she knew how much I love her.... We fought a lot but all brothers and sisters do, right? I never wanted her to think that I didn't love her." Ronan held back tears as he spoke, he wished he'd had more sincere moments with (Y/n) while she was alive.

"I'm sure she knew." Gianni nodded. "She loved you too."

"I hope so." Ronan said with a dry laugh. "You should probably go sit down now."

"Yeah, good luck... with your.. you know...eulogy thing." Gianni said awkwardly as he walked away. Everyone was so upset and it was his fault.

Both (Y/n) and Padgett were gone becuase of him, even though (Y/n) wasn't actually dead she sure as hell wasn't here. Gianni didn't regret his actions but that didn't make the consequences any less painful, (Y/n)'s family and Padgett's friends had been the unintended victims in this mess.

All this grief fell on his shoulders.

And he hated it.