XIII- girlfriend

"I'm home!" (Y/n) called out as she entered.

"Good thing too. I was just about to leave." Padgett said snarkily as Ronan helped her out on her coat.

"Hi, Padgett." (Y/n) mumbled unenthusiastically.

"Come on, girls, be nice to each other." Ronan said as he placed an arm over Padgett's shoulders.

(Y/n) winced in disgust as the two entered a wet and nauseating kiss.

"I'll call you later, babe." Padgett cooed, pulling herself away from Ronan.

"Drive safely." He smiled as she shunted past (Y/n) to get to the door.

After Padgett left, Ronan's smile dropped all at once. "Where were you?"

"I told mom I was at a friend's." She excused herself trying to walk past her brother to get up to her room but he overtook her.

"I knew that was a lie because you don't have friends." Ronan challenged. "Where were you for real?"

"I'm telling the truth. I watched a movie at a friend's house." (Y/n) said in exasperation as she continued to try and make her way up the steps with Ronan trialing behind.

"And this friend... do they have a name?" He asked in an attempt to catch her out.

(Y/n) bit down on her lip. She was hesitant to give away Gianni as the person she was spending time with due to his connection with Padgett.

"I...um-"

"I knew it! There's no friend!" Ronan shouted in triumph.

"Tia. My friend's name is Tia." (Y/n) huffed.

"Fake name." He dismissed.

"You know what? One day I'm going to get her round here and you'll meet her and then I promise you will be eating your words." (Y/n) walked into her room and went to shut the door behind her but Ronan pushed it open.

"You can't pay someone to pretend to be your friend, (Y/n)." He tisked.

"God, it's not like you're rolling in connections." She accused.

"Hey, I have plenty of friends, you just don't know them... and I have a girlfriend which is worth like five regular friends." Ronan whined defensively.

(Y/n) scoffed. "Yeah, right!"

"It's true! You should really start making an effort with Padgett, I think you two could really get along." He took on a more serious tone towards the end of his statement which made (Y/n)'s ears perk up.

"I don't think our personalities... mesh very well." The ache in (Y/n)'s stomach subconsciously increased with the thought of an interaction with that girl.

"Which is why you need to put in effort. You hardly talk to anyone, (Y/n). Can't you just try for me?" Ronan pleaded.

"I don't get why this is so important to you." (Y/n) sighed.

"She's... she's really special to me and-"

"Oh my god. Are you thinking about marrying her??" (Y/n) almost threw up at the notion as she craned her neck forward to try and detect how he was feeling.

"Not now. I'd wait until she was done with college, but we've been going really good and I'm in love with her." He defended himself.

"You've been dating five months, Ronan."

"I-"

"Five months."

"What's your big issue with Padgett anyway?" He crossed his arms. "Huh?"

"I never said I had an issue with Padgett." (Y/n) turned away from her brother and went to sit down on her bed.

"You didn't need to say anything. I can just tell." He stated aggressively.

"You shouldn't be thinking about marriage when she's only seventeen and you've only been going out for five months." (Y/n) could feel her blood boiling and just as she mentioned this the memory of what Orlando had told her came to her head. "And you definitely shouldn't be having sex with her when she's a minor! It's illegal!"

"She initiated it! She was my first time and I was her eighth or something." He exclaimed.

"That doesn't make it right! Just because I don't like Padgett doesn't mean I want her to be taken advantage of." (Y/n)'s eyes widened when she realised what she let slip.

"I knew it! You don't like her." He said smugly, thinking that it would somehow exonerate him of all the other points she made.

(Y/n) exhaled in defeat. "Fine. I don't like her. But I don't think I'm the one you should be convincing. I only dislike her because she fucking hates me!"

"Padgett doesn't hate you." Ronan scoffed.

"Yes, she does. And she's actually kind of a bitch." (Y/n) spat harshly.

Ronan froze up. "Don't say that about Padgett."

"What? The truth?" (Y/n) pulled her shirt up to show the bruises Padgett had given her. "It wasn't some kid from another school who did this like I told mom, it was your girlfriend."

"No it wasn't." He shook his head adamantly. "You're lying."

"I'm not, Ronan. She cornered me in the locker room and-"

"Shut the fuck up!" His volume suddenly increased tenfold, stunning (Y/n) into silence. "Don't fucking lie to me."

With that, he stormed out of her room and slammed her door with a force that left her room to shake a little.

(Y/n) lowered her shirt and looked down at the floor.

The next morning, Ronan wouldn't even look at (Y/n), much too disgusted by the mere suggestion that Padgett would ever do that.

"Hey, can you check the expiration date on the milk?" (Y/n) asked as she pulled some cereal out of the cupboard.

Ronan completely disregarded her statement despite the fact he was already taking some fruit out of the open fridge.

(Y/n) groaned loudly, realising that he would be playing up this stupid silent treatment until (Y/n) conceded and apologized for her blasphemy against his girlfriend.

"You're being so childish, Ronan. If you don't believe me then that's fine but talk to me, don't just ignore me." She said.

Ronan kept to his silence and slammed the fridge shut.

"Oh, come on! She punched me in the gut, held me up by my hair, shoved me to the ground and then kicked me in the stomach and somehow I'm the bad guy!"

"(Y/n), what are you still doing here? You should be at school?" Carmen entered the kitchen in her nightgown, not sensing the hostility between her children.

She took a final glance at Ronan who didn't look up from the fruit he was slicing before she set off the the bus stop.