XIX- said too much

(Y/n) could see her mom's car in the driveway when she walked in and could assume that Carmen was home. What she wasn't expecting was to see Carmen and Padgett chatting and drinking tea together at the dining table.

"Hi, (Y/n)." Carmen greeted with a smile. Padgett also shot her a grin dripping with fake charm and sweetness. "How was school, sweetie?"

"Meh." (Y/n) answered, neglecting to mention getting slapped in the face by the very girl sat next to her mom. "Where's Ronan?" She didn't want it to become a habit for Padgett to be visiting under any other circumstance apart from her relationship with Ronan.

"He's just grabbing his stuff. I'm driving him to the dentist." Carmen said after taking another sip of her tea.

"He chipped his tooth." Padgett added.

"How'd that happen?" (Y/n) winced, thinking of her brother injuring himself.

"Padgett, you were saying he had a nasty fall while the two of you were in his room. You were dancing, right?" Carmen clarified.

"Right." Padgett confirmed.

(Y/n) rolled her eyes at the terrible lie as Ronan entered the room.

"Are you ready to go?" His words were muffled by the ice pack that he was holding to his jaw.

"Yep, see you girls later." Carmen got up from her seat.

"Wait, I thought Padgett was going with you." (Y/n) interrupted, dreading the thought of being left alone with Padgett for such an extended period of time.

"We'll be gone for two hours tops." Carmen sighed. "Besides it'll be good for you two to be friends."

(Y/n) gave her brother a death glare, she felt as though he had planned this in some way even though she knew for a fact that Ronan wasn't calculated enough to chip his own tooth to get her and Padgett some alone time together.

"I'll see you two later." She waved goodbye and left with Ronan, the sound of the front door solidified (Y/n)'s fears.

'She wouldn't beat me up in my own house, right?'

For the past half hour, (Y/n) had been taking refuge in her room with the excuse of homework but it seemed like she could no longer ignore her grumbling stomach.

She had neglected going downstairs for obvious reasons: she didn't want to see Padgett. But she knew she'd have to get some dinner eventually.

(Y/n) told herself that she'd be quick and inoffensive. She'd just have to try and avoid Padgett despite the fact that avoiding her would be an impossible task.

She took herself back down to the kitchen to see that Padgett was still sitting at the dining table but she was on her phone. "Your mom texted. They won't be home for another four hours."

"Four? Why?!" (Y/n) wasn't intending on speaking to Padgett but this revolution forced words out of her.

"The dentist said they could perform the treatment straight up or else he'd have to wait another two months." She answered.

'Yeah, he definitely didn't think this through.'

"Maybe you two should be more careful the next time you 'dance' together." (Y/n) said mockingly as she looked over the contents of the fridge.

Padgett smirked while not removing her eyes from her phone. "Don't be salty that I took your brother's virginity."

"I will pay you anything to stop talking." (Y/n) had honestly never wished more in her life that she was deaf. She began to pull some miscellaneous ingredients from the refrigerator.

"Oh, can you make me some dinner?" Padgett requested without looking up.

(Y/n) gave her a positive answer purely because she was the guest but did it reluctantly.

"Are those pine nuts? Don't put them on mine. Also if you're making anything with red meat then just give me chicken instead." Padgett rambled.

She was half tempted to just ignore all these additional requests all together considering earlier that day Padgett had unjustifiably slapped her across the face. But (Y/n)'s nature got the better of her and she just made them both chicken salads, free from pine nuts.

"Here." She put the plate down in front of Padgett.

"Let's see if you cook well enough to get that job at McDonalds you'll inevitably work in the future." She said with a snarky tone.

"You know, I didn't have to make you that." (Y/n) took a forkful of the salad and ate it.

"What do you want? A medal?" Padgett scoffed and then took a bite. "Four out of ten."

(Y/n) was tempted to hit her head on the table repeatedly.

"God, you look like you're about to kill yourself." Padgett grimaced at (Y/n) annoyed face. "Or me."

"I'm thinking about it." (Y/n) murmured.

"Please choose the former. I actually have something to live for." Padgett teased.

"You're insufferable." (Y/n) put her cutlery down. "I've lost my appetite."

"Yeah, your food has that effect."

"Have you ever tried being nice for once?" (Y/n) challenged. "Or is that too difficult for you?"

"I'm nice to plenty of people. Though I suppose you know all about that from Gianni with the amount of time you're spending with him." Padgett spotted (Y/n) flinching when she said Gianni's name. "Calm down. I'm not gonna do anything here."

(Y/n) straightened up. "I don't see why you have such a big problem with us being friends."

Padgett stared (Y/n) down for a moment before speaking. "I'm gonna level with you. Don't get involved with him."

"Why not?"

"Because I see how you are together and if you carry on like this you'll end up dating him." Padgett answered.

"Oh right, is this the jealous ex girlfriend act?" (Y/n) scoffed and leaned away in her chair.

"I'm not jealous. We broke up for a reason, he was a bad boyfriend. He was mean, and careless, and aloof, and cold and-"

"Then it's a good thing we're not dating." (Y/n) said simply. "He's just my friend, alright?"

"You also haven't met his parents... I only met them once and they fucking hated me. They're all in illegal shit." Padgett lowered her voice as if someone could be listening in.

"I know."

"What?"

(Y/n) suddenly realised her mistake.

"I mean-"

"He told you?!" Padgett stood up tall and pushed her chair back.

"Y-yes..?" (Y/n) shrunk around ten sizes.

"I can't believe you fucked my ex boyfriend! He said he was waiting until he got married that shitty little liar!" Padgett screamed.

"We didn't have sex!" (Y/n) cried out, very scared of this angrier side of the girl ahead of her.

"Then how the hell would he tell you something it took him a year to tell me after knowing you for two seconds?!" Padgett got up in her face, so close that she could've unhinged her jaw and swallowed (Y/n)'s head whole. At least that was how (Y/n) felt.

She thought about what her next best move would be, the truth would be risky but another lie would only dig her further into this whole.

'The truth will set you free.'

"The party that we met at. It was a family event, I went there with my mom and Ronan because... my mom makes drugs for a living. The store is a front."

Padgett's slightly reddened complexion from her heightened emotions faded and she settled down.

"Please don't tell anyone." (Y/n) added timidly, praying that Padgett wouldn't try to use this against her.