XXXIV- ignorance

It had been two days since Gianni's talk with Padgett and he hadn't spoken to her since. He hadn't even been into school since.

He feigned some illness to Michelle and his parents and they allowed him to stay home. He just felt so overwhelmed with Padgett knowing what he'd done.

It wasn't even that bad! He just watched her for a bit. Padgett was probably thinking he did something awful. He didn't take any pictures, he didn't steal anything from her, he barely touched her.

At least that was what he told himself to ease his own guilt.

He did feel bad that he was leaving (Y/n) on her own at school but he planned to go in the next day, he was sure she could just about manage two days without him. If she couldn't, it would only elavate his need to protect her.

(Y/n) was regularly texting him to check in on his condition which he appreciated greatly, even if he was perfectly well.

She had been getting on fine without him, granted it was a bit strange. Though she had just seen a text from Gianni letting her know that he was on the mend and would likely be in school the next day.

The weirdest part of it was not having anyone to sit with at lunch. Yesterday, she'd gone up to their usual spot and just eaten on her own but that got very boring very quickly. So today she figured she'd venture back to the canteen.

(Y/n) looked over the hall to evaluate her options. The first table her eyes landed on was Padgett's- she, as usual, had Orlando, Tia and Fiona sitting around her with the addition of some others.

(Y/n) was tempted to sit there as she was friends with both Orlando and Tia but Padgett's presence somewhat warded her off, especially with all that Gianni had said about her.

So she looked for another option, that was when she spotted Gianni's old table. Josef, Arthur and Chip were all talking with each other heartily. She had recently finished her project with Josef and despite him getting a bit withdrawn towards the end of it, she still enjoyed her time with him and had grown to build genuine friendships with the boys.

Having settled her decision, she bag to approach their table.

"Hi, mind if I sit here?" She smiled brightly at them.

Josef looked at her a recoiled away slightly from nerves. "Um..."

"Are you sure there's nowhere else?" Chip pitched in. Josef had warned the others about what Gianni had told him so they'd both taken it upon themselves to avoid (Y/n).

(Y/n) deflated a bit. "It's okay, I can find somewhere else."

"N-no, you can stay here." Arthur said to her, he was quick to receive glares from both of us friends as (Y/n) happily took a seat. He was operating on the belief that Gianni would be even more mad if they just left her to go sit with someone else, especially if that someone was Orlando.

"Thanks." She felt awkward at the apprehension to allow them to be around her. They were looking at her with a certain sense of... fear. Surely they couldn't be afraid of her.

Each one of them had their mind whirring, trying to think of something to say that would be deemed acceptable.

(Y/n) was beginning to slightly regret her decision of sitting there as the four of them are in silence. Everytime she tried to open up a conversation, it was met with quick replies and then shut down.

As soon as she was done, (Y/n) got up and left the cafeteria after saying goodbye to them. It was just too strange for her.

As she walked towards the exit she waved at Tia and Orlando on their table, though she did note that Padgett was no longer there.

(Y/n) hadn't been searching for Padgett. She just happened upon her.

(Y/n) went to the bathroom just to freshen up but she heard the distinct sound of crying coming out of one of the stalls.

It was familiar.

"... Padgett?"

More sniffling came in response.

"I know it's you. It's (Y/n)." She continued. "What's wrong?"

(Y/n) knew that she should have left as soon as she identified Padgett but she couldn't help feeling bad for the other girl.

"F...fuck off." Padgett choked out.

"I get it if you don't want to talk to me, why don't you talk with Fiona or Orlando? Or call Ronan-"

(Y/n) was cut off by Padgett unlocking the stall. Small streaks of mascara ran down from her reddened eyes.

"We broke up. I was just on the phone with him." Padgett said.

"I'm... really sorry." (Y/n) wasn't sure whether to hug Padgett or not but before she could decide the other girl had already gone over to the sink and was fixing her makeup.

"It's... fine. I told him what happened and he dumped me. I don't care." She wiped away the straying back lines.

"You clearly do care. You can talk to me, Padgett." (Y/n) spoke softly, they weren't friends but Padgett had become a bit of a constant in her life. She was always in her house, and now she just wouldn't be there anymore.

"I don't want to talk about it." Padgett frowned and then began to chuckle dryly. "Ronan's going to fucking kill you."

"Yeah, thanks." (Y/n) had nearly forgotten about her involvement in this and was sure that her brother and mother would have her head for this.

Padgett momentarily looked away from the mirror to glance at (Y/n). She was contemplating telling her about what she'd caught Gianni doing.

"What?" (Y/n) knitted her brows in regard to thoughtful look Padgett was giving her.

"I was just... how do you feel about Gianni?" Padgett asked. "Has he asked you to the dance?"

"I guess I like him, I'm pretty sure he likes me too. But no, he hasn't asked me yet." (Y/n) responded. "I'm sorry, I know you were rooting for me and Orlando."

Padgett shook her head. "While I think he'd be better for you than Gianni, I was never rooting for you." She checked her reflection again. "You shouldn't go to the dance with Gianni."

"And who should I go with? You?" (Y/n) joked.

Padgett looked down at the floor and felt a sting in her chest.

"You... you don't have to go with anyone." It wasn't what Padgett wanted to say but it was what she went with.

A moment of silence hung around them as neither were quite sure what to say.

"It's gonna be so weird not having you around the house." (Y/n) mused.

"I'm gonna miss it. Ronan, your mom... and you I guess."

A smile overtook (Y/n)'s face. "You're gonna miss me?"

"Shut up, enjoy this before I go back to not liking you." Padgett sniggered.

"Oh believe me, I'm enjoying it." (Y/n) couldn't stop smiling and Padgett returned the sentiment.

A million thoughts were running through Padgett's head. She wanted to warn (Y/n) about Gianni. She wanted to kiss her again. She wanted to tell her how pretty her smile was. She wanted to ask her to the dance.

But she did none of those things.

"This getting too sappy for my taste." Padgett eventually said. "You can fuck off now."

"Will do." (Y/n) had grown a bit more used to Padgett's abrasive way of speaking and opted to owe it to her emotions.

She must have been feeling very upset over being dumped but (Y/n) was sure she'd move on, she always did.