XVII- over it

"Yellow car!" Orlando yelped out, giving (Y/n) a substantial punch to the side of her arm.

"Ah! No way, we drove past that one earlier." She rubbed her sore arm with a pout.

"Fine, you're either down by seven to nil or eight to nil." He said nonchalantly. "Yellow car!" He punched her arm again.

"How the hell am I missing these?" (Y/n) said under her breath.

"That's nine zero." Orlando announced triumphantly.

"Eight zero." (Y/n) corrected. "You counted that one twice."

"Have it your way. I'm destroying you either way." He smirked.

"Just you wait till the bus ride this afternoon, that's when I step up my game. I'm just too tired in the mornings." She said as her excuse for such poor show.

"Sure, sure, we'll see." Orlando scoffed. "You're even worse at this than Tia."

(Y/n)'s happy attitude faltered at the mention of Tia. "So, is she like friends with Padgett now?"

"I mean, yeah... but you can still be friends with her. Look at you and me! I'm can be friendly with both you and Padgett." He assured her.

"We have classes together and we take the same bus. Tia and I would only ever see each other at lunch or between classes and Padgett is spending all her time with her. It feels like she's doing this on purpose to piss me off." (Y/n) grumbled.

"Well, duh. Why else would she befriend the girl who broke her best friend's leg?" Orlando commented.

(Y/n) rubbed her face in exhaustion. "Everything's so complicated." Her words were muffled from beneath her hands.

"Hey, it'll be alright.... yellow car!"

(Y/n) was chewing on the inside of her cheek as she leaned against the locker and subtly looked over at a group of students. It consisted of Padgett, Tia, Orlando and a bunch of other people who she didn't particularly care for.

"What was the emergency?"

Her attention was drawn away by the sound of Gianni's voice. "What?"

"On Saturday, you had to go because of an emergency." He sounded almost hurt that she didn't remember, like she had been just looking for an excuse to get away from him.

"Oh, it was just like you suspected. My dad being a dick."

"What did he do?" Gianni asked curiously.

She pondered telling him but then looked around her and saw the building crowd around them and suddenly realised that this was the first time that they were really talking in school since the lunchtime incident. This realisation was quickly followed by the one that Padgett was going to have her head.

"Fuck." (Y/n) gawked with wide eyes.

"Huh?" Gianni furrowed his brows but then a few students started talking to him and he could ignore them at first but they gradually became louder and he had to turn his attention away from (Y/n).

Seeing that everyone was much more enamoured with Gianni than with her, (Y/n) took herself away from the situation.

"Hey, (Y/n)!"

'Shit, shit, shit, shit, shit.'

(Y/n) pretended she didn't hear Padgett's call and kept walking onward without making eye contact.

"I know you can hear me, dipshit!" Padgett shouted again.

She stopped her steps and slowly turned around to see that Padgett and her group had grown a lot closer to her. Some of them had peeled off so it was just Padgett, Tia, Orlando and two other students who she recognised but didn't know the names of.

"What the fuck was that? You and Gianni?"

"We're friends, Padgett. Get over it." (Y/n) spat at her.

Orlando had to cover his mouth to stop himself from laughing at the shocked look on Padgett's face, all the while Tia was shaking her head rapidly and sending warning looks at (Y/n).

"Oh, I see what this is... you slept with him because I wouldn't give it up for him." Padgett convinced herself and her face became overwhelmed with a victorious grin. "That's right, isn't it? How many times did he call you my name?"

"You literally couldn't be more wrong." (Y/n) groaned, more and more people had start to look at their interaction and she just wanted to end it as quickly as possible. "Let's not talk about this. Better yet, let's mind our own business."

The slap that contacted (Y/n)'s cheek was so quick she didn't even see Padgett pull her hand back. The sound of it pushed the hallway into silence. Tia and Orlando looked at (Y/n)'s red cheek with sympathy.

Most of the crowd tried and failed to look away so they couldn't be held accountable for not standing up for (Y/n).

"That's enough, Padgett."

It was Gianni.

(Y/n) silently thanked god and brought her hand up to cover her abused cheek.

"I'm in trouble now." Padgett scoffed sarcastically.

"I need to speak to you." He said sternly, surprisingly Padgett followed him off. Every time those two spoke it rendered everyone silent, it was like watching two gods speaking to each other.

"Jeez, are you okay?" As soon as Padgett was gone, the hall went into uproar and Tia stepped towards (Y/n) in concern.

"I'm fine." (Y/n) shrugged her away, still upset that she had tossed her aside for the opportunity to be friends with that witch. Tears stung at her eyes, but she tried to keep them at bay for sake of everyone who was still observing her. "I need to go."

"(Y/n), wait-" Orlando called out but whatever he send next was lost in the sea of conversation that all blended into one white noise as (Y/n) walked away.

"What the fuck was that?" Gianni asked as he and Padgett entered the empty classroom he led her to.

"You're overreacting." She dismissed him with the wave of her hand.

"I'm overreacting?? You slapped a girl in the face for being friends with me!" He was completely exasperated with Padgett at this point.

"She was sassing me!" Padgett exclaimed. "I was defending myself."

"Someone giving you a little bit of lip doesn't excuse physical assault." Gianni's reprimanded.

"God, 'physical assault', it's not that deep. I slapped her in the face, so what? She'll be fine in like ten minutes, if anything she should be happy for the exposure." She leered at him.

He bit his tongue to stop himself from yelling at her about what happened in the locker room. He felt that same feeling of necessity to protect (Y/n) and defend her.

"You know, the more I hear you talk, the more I wonder why I even went out with you in the first place." He muttered mostly to himself but was glad to see that Padgett heard too and was thoroughly offended.

She laughed obnoxiously. "Right back at you, buddy!"

"I was wrong about what I said about Ronan being better than you. You deserve that dirtbag." Gianni felt a little bad about calling (Y/n)'s relative a dirtbag but she never really spoke too highly of him so he felt like it was fair game.

"That supposed to hurt? I've moved on!" She said with an air of superiority.

"Believe me, I have moved well on. I'm so over you and all your childish behaviour. If you're still in love me then that's your problem but don't bring my friends into it." He left after that, making sure he kept the final word.

"I'm not still in love with you!!!" Padgett screeched at the door. "I don't fucking love you, you asshole!!!"