XXIII- nurse's office

Gianni sat upright in the bed he'd been given while holding an icepack to his eye. It was the consequence of his stupid action.

His mother had been contacted and was on her way to collect him, he dreaded to think about the tongue lashing he'd receive for this.

What was even worse to think about was (Y/n)'s reaction, would she ever want to speak to him again after this?

"You're such an idiot." (Y/n) sighed as she walked in.

"I'm really sorry." Gianni mumbled like a child being reprimanded.

"I just don't... understand." (Y/n) pinched the bridge of her nose. "What were you thinking?"

Gianni shrugged, unable to meet (Y/n)'s eyes.

"We weren't even flirting. But if we were then why would you care?" She crossed her arms. "Do you like me or something?"

(Y/n) was unsure of what she even wanted Gianni's answer to be to that question as she was still wrestling with her own feelings towards him.

"No." Gianni fired back. He couldn't pinpoint if he was telling the truth or not either but whether he had feelings for (Y/n) or not, he didn't want them to be revealed to her. "You're my friend and Orlando is an asshole."

"When? When has he done anything to you?" (Y/n) dismissed the slight sinking feeling that came with Gianni's denial.

"He's best friends with Padgett. She's pure evil, he probably isn't great either."

"Padgett is not that bad." (Y/n) scoffed.

"She's using you." Gianni reminded (Y/n) of her fears.

"I- that's not the point. You punched someone in the face, you can't do that." (Y/n) could debate Gianni about Padgett another time, she wasn't going to let him get off scott free for what he did.

"I've... I've been having some stuff going on at home." He lied flawlessly and surprised himself with the lack of guilt he felt for doing so.

"I'm sorry that's happening but can you try to not take that out on others?" (Y/n) on the other hand did feel guilty, she didn't want to persecute him for something out of his hands but still felt strongly against his actions.

"I know, I shouldn't have taken it out on Orlando but in all fairness he punched me too!" Gianni moved the ice pack off his eye to show the red mark that was slowly turning a rich purple.

"Get that back on there!" (Y/n) rushed up to Gianni and put her hand over his to ease the ice pack back onto his face. "The ice will reduce swelling... or something like that."

"Wow, you're a medical genius." He snickered, his mood depleted a bit when the girl removed her hand from his and he was almost tempted to take the ice pack away again just for her to gently guide his hand back.

"Shut up, does it hurt?"

"I got punched in the face so, yeah. But I'll live. How's Orlando doing?" Gianni didn't really care much for the other boy but it would earn him points with (Y/n) to ask.

"He's doing alright. He cried for a bit but now he's pretty excited that you split his lip because he thinks it makes him look dangerous or some shit like that." (Y/n) recalled the conversation she had with Orlando being treated by the nurse.

"What? People are gonna ask how he got it and he'll have to say that he lost a fight?"

"I don't think you can really call it a fight. You just punched each other and then got dragged off in opposite directions." (Y/n) could almost laugh at the very liberal usage of the word 'fight' that everyone had dubbed the boys' spat with.