S1E3: If the Truth Mattered

Noon
[a restaurant]
*Nancy walked in.*

Nancy: Hey!

Jo: Hey! How are you?

Nancy: I'm doing alright, and you?

Jo: Well, I've had better mornings.

Nancy: Oh yeah? What happened?

Jo: Nathan and I got into a fight. It was just dumb, you know? It was like... we were in some toxic relationship or something.

Nancy: Yeah, I'm sorry Jo.

Jo: Have you ever been in a toxic relationship?

Nancy: Um, well, yeah I've been in something like that. What was the fight about?

Jo: Well, I- it started with him not using a coaster on my coffee table and I got mad but then he got defensive and one thing led to another and we threatened to break up with each other.

Nancy: Woah...

Jo: He said I was being dramatic and I said he was being defensive and we both got so mad.

Nancy: Hey, listen it was a stupid fight. You guys will make up.

Jo: I really want to, I don't care about a stupid coaster! I just want him back. This sucks!

Nancy: C'mon, for the last two weeks I've known you, you two have been perfect for each other. No way you're going to break up over something so small.

Jo: I hope so. Although something tells me it wasn't just about a coaster.

Nancy: Yeah, why's that?

Jo: He's been so distant lately and it feels like our relationship is just going downhill.

Nancy: Heh, yeah I know that feeling.

Jo: Oh, it's happened to you?

Nancy: Oohh yeah. My last boyfriend. Started getting super distant and dry. He had totally lost interest. *starts laughing* Turns out he was sleeping with his coworker behind my back, haha!

Jo: *looks scared* What?

Nancy: *realizes she scared Jo* Oh, come on that was a totally different relationship! Nathan is a much better guy than Noah ever was.

Jo: Yeah. *looks down, sadly. Her phone starts to ring.* Oh, that's him! It's Nate! I should really go. Thanks for meeting with me, bye!

Nancy: Oh, good luck! Bye! *too herself* that's fine I'll just pay for this myself.*

After brunch
[at Nathan's house]
*Jo knocks, and Nathan opens.*

Jo: Hey, thanks for inviting me over. I think it's really mature of you to apologize.

Nathan: What? I was going to give you a chance to apologize to me.

Jo: Why would I apologize to you?

Nathan: Um, because you freaked out over something so small! If you want me to use a coaster, just ask!

Jo: Nate, that fight wasn't about a coaster!

Nathan: What fight were you at?! Because where I was, my girlfriend was screaming at me for almost leaving a water ring on her table.

Jo: No- Nate what I'm saying is I think that coaster represented our fight.

Nathan: Um... what?

Jo: You've been extremely distant lately and show no interest in me anymore at all!

Nathan: Oh, wow Jo-

Jo: No! Don't say it. Save me from the heartbreak.

Nathan: No I was just going to say-