41

Vote and enjoy✈️

  I expected to wake up with his arm around my torso, holding me close to his body whilst he lightly snored

I expected to wake up with his arm around my torso, holding me close to his body whilst he lightly snored. He snored quietly so it wasn't irritating. It was cute, actually. He would always rub circles on my belly with his fingers while he slept, like it was a habit and he would continue to do so for the rest of his life.

Maybe I expected him to wake me up by whispering in my ear, telling me to wake up as he kisses the skin under my earlobe. Then we would contemplate actually getting out of bed because we would know that once we do, he would have to attend business priorities with Gino and I wouldn't see him for the majority of the day. But that was okay because he would have lunch with me, text me hearts, and even call me on his breaks. Then at the end of the day, we would go to sleep in each other's arms.

But that's not what actually happened. What actually happened was the opposite.

I woke up alone.

Matteo was no longer by my side. The bed was cold where he once laid, meaning he left sometime during the night. Instead, taking his place was a small blue note. I picked it up as my eyes filled with tears and read his handwriting in which stated, "I love you. Never forget it."

I burst out in tears, covering my face with my hands to muffle my heartbroken sounds. I rose up from the bed and silently cried to myself as I threw on his sweatpants that I knew he left for me and my long-sleeved black shirt.

Did he really leave? Please let me be dreaming...

I walked through our bathroom and into his room, seeing his room was the exact same. I walked over to his closet and felt like I was punched in the face.

His clothes were gone. His guitar was gone. A strangled sob came from the back of my throat and I slowly slid down the closet door, bringing my knees to my chest as I cried. He really left. After everything we've been through, he left me.

I know he left to protect me. I know he left to keep me safe and keep the attention off of me, but he still left. He'll no longer be here when I need him.

He'll no longer be there to hold my hand when things get rough. He'll no longer sing me to sleep when I have my nightmares. He'll no longer make his homemade chicken alfredo when I'm having a bad day or buy me chocolate milk when I'm having a bad period. He'll no longer kiss the back of my shoulder before he goes to sleep or whisper that he loves me when he thinks I'm asleep.

He's just... gone.

I tried to catch my breath but I couldn't and then Matteo's door opened, revealing Gino. He looked at me and his eyes widened as he ran over to my side, crouching down so he could see me clearly, "Dear God, Sammie, what's going on?"

"H-He's," I hiccuped as I choked on another sob, "He's gone!"

His eyebrows furrowed in confusion as he wiped the tears from my face.

"Okay, Sammie, listen to me, babe. You need to breathe. In through your nose, hold it for a second, and then out of your mouth. You have to calm down so you can speak properly."

I nodded through my sobs and began to do as instructed for a couple of minutes before I calmed down to a soft sniffle whilst he rubbed my back. I grabbed my shirt and wiped my tears with it as he waited patiently for me to tell him that his brother is gone.

"Are you good now? Can you tell me what's going on?" He asked softly and I looked up at him, "Matteo left... for good."

A look of realization took place on his face and his lips parted slightly in shock before he nodded, "It's going to be okay. We'll deal with this, okay? It's going to be fine." It sounded as if he was trying to convince himself more than me, but either way, I nodded. He held his hand out and I placed mine in it as he helped me stand to my feet.

He pulled me in for a hug and I hugged him back tightly, biting my inner cheek so I wouldn't cry again. We stayed there in an embrace for a while before he pulled away and tucked a loose piece of hair behind my ear, "I'm going downstairs to make the announcement so people won't flood you, okay? Go get cleaned up and I'll make sure you have breakfast made."

I opened my mouth to tell him I wasn't hungry but he shook his head, "Don't tell me that you're not hungry. You're sad so in turn, your appetite has disappeared. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't eat. Your body is confused. You will eat, even if it's just a piece of toast, you will eat. Alright?"

"Okay," I said quietly and he smiled softly as he nodded towards the bathroom, "Wash your face. Brush your teeth and hair. Take care of yourself or I'll have Stefan do it for you."

I nodded and walked in the direction of the bathroom as he walked downstairs to tell everyone that Matteo was gone. I began brushing my teeth as hot tears involuntarily raced down my face as if they were in a contest on which one could reach my neck first.

After finishing brushing and flossing, I brushed my hair and began washing my face in cold water. I looked at myself in the mirror, mentally telling myself that I'll be okay. That I will survive without him. I went over twenty years without knowing him, I'll be okay now that he's gone.

But I don't believe it.