Chapter Thirty-Nine: Shaelyn

Shae dresses in her black trousers with leather boots. On her top half, the brown corset sitting over a long-sleeved black top. On the corset, various straps for the weapons she attaches. Round her shoulders, black material the wraps around her upper arms and provides the hood and covering that goes over her mouth. Not that she has them done up yet. She ties her hair into a tight braid and then paints black paint around her eyes. Then, she is walking to the main cavern. Some of the soldiers are already gathered and Shae's eyes fall on Ren. Her heart flutters a little upon seeing him. He wears his long coat, his body covered with weapons. His eyes fall on Shae as she walks toward him. A smile graces his lips and she smiles back.

"Are you ready?" Ren asks. Shae nods her head. "One thing, before we go," he says and opens his palm, revealing a gold phoenix pin. Shae smiles widely, her chest filling with warmth.

"I meant to give you one a long time ago," Ren replies sheepishly, his hand running through his hair. Shaelyn laughs. "But now is better than never," he chuckles. Shae nods her head and he takes a step toward her, opening the pin. She gulps as he pins it to her top and tears prickle her eyes. "You're one of us, Shae," he smiles. She looks up at him, licking her dry lips before smiling widely.

"Thank you," she whispers.

"You deserve it," he says with his own, beautiful, charming smile that has Shae's heart fluttering. Her hand reaches up to touch the pin and she lets out a happy laugh, looking down at it.

"I'm officially a Knight of the Pheonix," she grins excitedly and leaps up to hug him without thinking. He laughs, his arms wrapping around her waist as he lifts her off the floor.

"You've been one of us for a while, Shae," he tells her with an amused laugh as she continues to hug him. She laughs and he puts her down, but they don't let go.

"Well now I have a badge so..." she smiles. He laughs and leans down, pressing a quick kiss to her lips. Not caring how many other people in the cavern see. Shae kisses him back, smiling against his lips. They pull away and she looks into his eyes, raising an eyebrow.

"You don't care about the others seeing?" she asks. He laughs.

"Well, they wouldn't believe I'd kissed a princess otherwise," he jokes. Shae lets out a mixture of a laugh and a shout and slaps his arm lightly.

"So, that's the only reason why you did it. Bragging rights..." she exclaims, her smile widening.

"Exactly," he agrees. She shakes her head, still smiling.

"Well then, that's the last one you're going to get," she tells him crossing her arms stubbornly as she tries, unsuccessfully, to hide her smile. He laughs and kisses the top of her head.

"No it isn't," he whispers with a charming grin on his face. Shae shivers slightly and then laughs.

"Are you both done?" Evie asks with a wide smile. "We've got work to do." Ren sighs and he and Shae part. Em comes over to her and pats her on the shoulder.

"Welcome to the team officially, Princess," she laughs.

"Thanks," Shae replies, still feeling giddy from both getting the badge and the kiss from Ren. Evie walks over to her and gives her a hug.

"I knew it," she grins. Shae just shakes her head.

"You and Ben?" Shae asks cheekily. Evie just blushes and looks over at Ben. He raises an eyebrow. Then, a small smile creeps onto Evie's face. Shae gasps. "Evie..." she squeals.

"Shhh," Evie says, putting her hand over Shae's mouth with a laugh. Shae shakes her head and moves Evie's hand away. "Don't tell Ren," she smiles. Shae raises an eyebrow.