Chapter 50

"Okay, what is this all about?"

Danielle sighed loudly as she walked over to her best friend and flopped down on the sofa, hair hanging over her face. 

"Caterina has been acting... like there's something off screen as well as on and Stefania noticed it and Jesse said something and it's just a mess," Danielle explained, raising her arms and dropping them back down.

"What has Caterina said?" 

"She invited me over this weekend to practice the wine drunk scene I was telling you about so we can make it authentic," Jaina nodded her head slowly as she listened to her best friend talk. "And then Jesse came up to us as we were leaving and said some nonsense about how Caterina won't be happy when she finds out I have a girlfriend then refused to say anything else,"

"Oh shit. And Stefania was there for that?"

"Yep. We were holding hands and I just kind of felt her... drop it. And I wasn't really sure how to handle it. Not really sure how I feel about it," Danielle felt her eyes get a little heavy and the shock that Stefania was even making her feel emotions that could lead to tears was bewildering. Not because she was hurt by the situation, but just the thought of them drifting apart. 

"Are you okay?" Jaina asked, dipping her head down slightly to try and see her eyes. 

"Yeah. Yes," Danielle said, shaking her head as she tried her best to rid any tears forming. "I just-" She looked up at the ceiling as she tried to find her words. "I think I, um..."

"I'm not going to force you to say it because I think she should hear it first," Jaina said softly, smile on her face. "But I know what you're trying to say," Danielle felt a smile form on her face as she thought about it. It was a good feeling. "Are you going to talk to her?"

"Yeah. I mean, I should but she didn't seem up for it on the way back,"

"Just give her a minute then. She will. It doesn't help that nothing is really easing at Royal Central yet,"

"Gosh, yeah," Danielle sighed. "I wish I could help her with it but I literally can't,"

"She's the most put together there though. Most of the other teachers are running around like headless chickens half the time, then I'll see Stefania walk down the halls looking all calm and collected. It's very impressive," 

"So it makes sense why she is so tired when she gets home,"

"Oh yeah, one hundred percent," Jaina nodded her head as she stuck a hand down the side of the couch and pulled out a half eaten pack of Oreo's. "Don't look at me like that.  I just feel like I have to act like I'm healthy when Stefania is around,"

"You know she couldn't care less, right?" Danielle laughed as she got up from the sofa. "I'm going up, thank you for the little pep talk but I think I'm still going to lay on my bed and be in my feelings for a little. I need it. Self care and that," She took an Oreo as she headed upstairs and went into her room. She changed into more comfortable clothes and turned on her speaker before laying on her bed in the dark as her 'feels' playlist began to fill her room. She felt oddly at peace. She wasn't sure how long she'd been laying there for but she didn't want to move. She wasn't even really thinking of much, just laying there and listening to sad music. 

"Danielle?" Stefania knocked on her door and waited on the outside. 

"Yeah?" She called out, not bothering to move. 

"Can I come in?"

"Yeah," Stefania slowly opened the door and walked in, tilting her head to the side as she looked at her girlfriend. "Are you okay? I've heard a lot of sad music coming from here,"

"I'm actually okay," She said as she focussed on the ceiling. "Are you okay? I've been wanting to ask but wasn't sure if you wanted to be alone for a bit,"

"Ah, well. Tired and stressed," Stefania sighed. 

"Come here," Danielle said, patting the space on the bed next to her which Stefania happily obliged to. "Talk to me," Stefania let out a sigh as she rested her head on Danielle's chest, listening to her heart beat. 

"There's just a lot going on," She said, not even bothering to find any other words. They laid quietly for a bit, music still playing. 

"Gio has been trying to get me to talk to my Dad again and obviously, stuff at Royal Central has been a lot and I just don't need someone trying to be all over you more than they need to," Danielle traced patterns on Stefania's spine as she listened. 

"You know you don't have to worry about me, right?" The blonde said though she also knew that if this was the other way round, she would be going mental.

"It's not you I worry about. I trust you, it's just... people can be really conniving when they want something. Especially something they can't have," Stefania sat up and ran a hand through her hair. "I've been in this situation before and I swear, Danielle, if you come home one day and say it was an accident and you didn't think it was going to happen I will leave you quicker than you can say sorry," She felt tears fill her eyes and this anger that is usually buried away fill her chest. 

"Stefania...I would nev-"

"We've never talked about past relationships before and I can feel stuff bubbling up but I also don't want to talk about it right now but just please," She turned around to look at her girlfriend and Danielle's heart broke when she saw the tears rolling down her cheeks. "I am trusting you here, Danielle," The blonde nodded her head quickly as she sat up and pulled Stefania into her arms, running a hand through dark hair.

"I would never do anything to hurt you, Stefania," Danielle whispered as she felt Stefania relax into her arms, breathing shaky. "I am telling you the honest truth here. I would never do anything that would hurt you. I care about you a lot, yeah. A lot and I would do anything to make you smile because I- I just want you to be happy," 

"I hate feeling like this," Stefania said as she wiped her eyes. "I'm sorry you have to deal with this," 

"Hey, you don't need to apologise," Danielle said as she turned Stefania's head slightly so she could look into those gorgeous brown eyes that had never looked sadder. 

"I'm all in,"

A/N: Just wanted to put a quick note that I am so grateful for all the the support on this story! Sending love to all of you :)