The black gate

Your P/O/V:

Aragorn leads everyone out of the city. Gandalf, Legolas, Gimli and myself behind him and an army of soldiers behind us. Skylar flies over head and I watch her from the corner of my eye. We ride swiftly the foot soldiers keeping a fast pace so they don't fall behind.

I send out a small prayer for Frodo and Sam hoping they are alright. I lose myself to the steady beating of the pounding feet of the soldiers. For what feels like the tenth time I check the few belongings I have are secured on my quiver along with the precious few medical herbs I now have left. "Well that's a chilly sight." I smile at Gimli before turning and looking at the black gate towering in-front of us. The soldiers form rows behind us the dull colours of the flags flying around them.

Gandalf, Legolas, Gimli, Skylar, Aragorn, Eomer, Merry, Pippin and myself stand on our horses at the front. Skylar shifts around restless on the ground and I smile at her leaning down "I have an important task for you." she looks up her eyes bright "I need you to find the eagles, bring them here. If Frodo succeeds in destroying the ring he will not be able to get out of there. If they fail..." I trail of and she nods spreading her wings "I understand." I kiss her nose gently and she takes of disappearing in the gloomy cloud that hangs low. 

We wait silently for a moment before the six horses ride forward to the gate. Stopping in a line right in-front of it. Aragorn calls out "Let the lord of the black land come forth. Let justice be done upon him!" the gate lets out a loud echoing creak and slowly opens revealing a single rider clad in black with a ornate helmet that hides all his face but his mouth.

"My master, Sauron the Great, bids thee welcome." he tilts his head to the side I assume attempting to smile. But with the blood around his mouth and sharp yellow teeth it is anything but welcoming. "Is there any in this rout with authority to treat with me?" Gandalf frowns "We do not come to treat with Sauron. Faithless and accursed, tell your master this: the armies of Mordor must disband. He is to depart these lands, never to return."

The creature, I do not think he is human, lets out a growling laugh "Old Greybeard. I have a token I was bidden to show thee." He holds up the shining coat of mithril. Frodo! I gasp and grip my sword tightly. The thing throws it at Gandalf who catches it easily. Merry and Pippin both stare at it in misery and I will them to stay on their horses. The thing laughs bearing it's teeth "The halfling was dear to thee, I see. Know that he suffered greatly at the hands of his host." I feel anger bubbling up inside me and let out a tendril of magic probing the things mind, he is lying. Frodo escaped with the help from another. Sam. They are both alive and they have no idea where they went.

I search further only finding darkness and terrible terrible things. I recoil and watch Aragorn ride forward "Who is this? Isildur's heir? It takes more to make a king than a broken Elvish blade." he scowls and unsheathes it swinging it at the thing and beheading it. The head falls with a sickening thud and I shudder slightly at the sound. Aragorn turns to us "I do not believe it. I will not." I nod slightly "Frodo and Sam are still alive. But where I do not know."

The gates open further revealing the armies of Mordor. We ride back towards our own army and I hear the men shifting uneasy, scared or unsettled by the sight in front of us. Aragorn yells out "Hold your ground! Sons of Gondor, of Rohan, my brothers. I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of Men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day! An hour of wolves and shattered shields when the age of Men comes crashing down. But it is not this day. This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you stand. Men of the West."

They all raise their swords and spears, those who have them brandish their swords. We dismount our horses and send them away leaving our small army grouped in a circle gradually being surrounded by orcs. "I love you." I smile up at Legolas squeezing his hand gently "I love you too."