Chapter 705 (October 31, 2020)

Matt's POV: As I woke up the next morning, I smiled while standing in the kitchen making us some breakfast while also talking to a friend of mine from city council. "So Josh, just curious...what's the city's stance on Halloween? I want to know." He chuckled. "Let me guess, you are wondering whether it's safe to take your little guy out?"

I was shocked when he asked me that. Josh Hudson was a friend of mine from City Council, representing the city's 17th district. However, I hadn't told anybody there that I had a kid. "How did you find out?" He chuckled. "I took your spot on the Health, Public and Emergency Services Committee." I just shrugged and get now why he would get that information.

"So, I assume that you know about my changing from Fire to Paramedic?" He chuckled. "Yes, we have a list of all active duty firemen. I've been trying my best to reach out to all of them via e-mail but, the pandemic is not the best." I smiled when he said that. "You know, if you need help with talking to them you always have me. Also, you really should read my e-mails more."

He laughed. "Along with the other thousands I get from the 17th district?" I agreed, it's a big district with over 100,000 residents. "I was just recommending you guys set up a joint CFD-CPD-MED task force on COVID. You guys seem to be all over the place." He agreed and smiled. "I will definitely talk to Mayor Lightfoot about that." I smiled. "Let me know if you need a member."

He chuckled. "You so want to come back to politics don't you man?" I sighed. "Not happening. It's too shady. Just promise me you're staying in the good side? I don't want to hear you've gone dark and started taking PAC money and are taking meetings with lobbyist and insiders. That's why we worked well together. Oh and please tell me you are working against that prick."

Josh chuckled. "He's finally retiring." Oh thank lord, there was an alderman on there that has been there for too long and I was glad he was retiring. At long last, we can get fresh blood in that district. "Good and you?" He chuckled. "Don't worry, I'm still in the good graces. Now listen, I can't talk to a friend when it's constituent town hall time. It's 9 am." I agreed.

"Have fun." I laughed as I hung up, having hated doing some town halls when I moved to check on the pancakes I was making for me and Gabby. That's when she came out and walked up behind me. Wrapping her arms around my waist, I smiled as she kissed my back. "Who were you talking to?" I turned around and smiled at her. "Remember Josh from the 17th?"

She thought about it and nodded. "You talk to him about the task force?" I nodded and smiled. "I might be finding a new job there soon. Might be able to work from home so that'll be good. Now, I am making pancakes. Not going for a run today." She nodded and smiled. "Okay, now we in bed today again or couch?" I looked at her. "Bed, the couch hurts my back." She nodded and agreed. "Listen, I might talk to Boden. I want to do something for Veteran's day at the firehouse." 

Moving to look at her, I sighed. "Gabby the pandemic and...." She just glared at me. "This is my first year in a while that I am in Chicago for Veteran's Day. Meaning, this is the first time I am going to be able to participate in remembering Shay." I then realized why it was so important to her. I the nodded and moved to hug her. Kissing her head softly as we held each other close, Gabby looked up at me. Leaning in to kiss her softly, I smiled as I prepared to kiss her when we heard Matteo.

I groaned when I pulled away and then moved to kiss her shoulder softly. "I already made a bottle when I woke up. It's in the fridge. You can take it and go feed him." Gabby smiled as she got out of my arms and went to grab it. Quickly heating it up in the microwave, I smiled when we walked by before slapping her butt. She turned to look at me, shocked. "Matt!" I smirked and looked at her as she walked away. "Not my fault my wife is so hot."

She chuckled and smiled while walking into our bedroom. "Can you make another bottle while you're out there and I'm feeding him?" I agreed. "Sure thing." I started another pancaked after taking the one that just finished out of the pan before making my way to the fridge. Grabbing one of Matteo's bottles out of the cupboard, I moved to fill it with milk. I then put some formula in it and put the bottle's cap on tip.

Quickly shaking it, I then put it back in the fridge for later when I was going to feed him. I then went back to making the pancakes since I wanted to make a few more before Gabby came back out to eat. I didn't ask her how hungry she was but I knew that I at least wanted three. I didn't snack last night. Normally, when I wake up in the middle of the night I grab a quick snack bar. But last night, I didn't wake up which meant no snack bar so daddy's a little more hungry than normal this morning.