Fire(house) Stories

Matt's POV: When Antonio asked me whether I was going to tell Matteo some of my fire stories (e.g. the stories of me battling some epic Chicago fires), I was on the fence about telling him. Yes, would it be amazing if Matteo followed in my footsteps and became a second-generation Chicago Fire Department Captain at 51? Of course, I would be the proudest dad in the world. Yet, at the same time...knowing how much it would kill Gabby to loose him in a fire, I probably shouldn't recommend it. Turning to look at Antonio, I sighed. "I probably won't. Don't want to encourage him to join the CFD."

Antonio then looked at me, shocked. "What changed in the past few months? You were all against me trying to get him to follow me into the CPD because you said he would be the next Captain Casey." I sighed when he said that. "The lung situation and the fact that he is our miracle child. You know how devastated Gabby would be if the worst happened?" Antonio nodded and agreed. "I totally agree. However, at least he probably wouldn't say goodbye to his mom over a radio like you did." I sighed, knowing that was coming.

"Antonio, please...I get that was our motto but the fire was horrible. I was lucky to make it out alive. Take it from my point of view. What if it hadn't gone well? What if I had died in the fire? I would've died without saying goodbye to the woman I love." Antonio nodded and understood. "I am just glad you are going to be working with her from now on when you go back. It'll take a big load off of my shoulders." I then looked at him. "You think about whether it's our ambulance every time you see one drive by don't you?"

Antonio nodded. "She's my little sister. Sure, she's not getting shot at every day but she also deals with crazy people at times." I nodded. "Don't I know it. She's also a moving target. If someone dies because we didn't rush them too much, we put a target on our backs for the whackos of the world." I turned to look at Gabby and then sighed. "One time, one of her patients died on route and she got threatened by the surviving spouse because she didn't go fast enough or something. However, that's just the stories I've heard. You should see what I've witnessed."

Antonio got concerned. "Okay, now you are definitely telling me about what you witnessed?" I sighed and knew this was something Antonio should've known a long time ago. "You remember that Firehouse 51 Peeping Tom Case?" Antonio nodded. "Wait, did he try and take pictures of you?" I shook my head. "Worse." Antonio then glared at me before whispering. "Gabby?" I nodded and then sighed. "Let's just say, I'm lucky that I didn't get arrested that day." Antonio looked at me. "What did you do to save her from him?"

I sighed. "Let's just say the photographer met the protective husband side of Matthew Casey." Antonio chuckled. "So, he got a good yelling at I assume?" I shook my head. "Oh no, that's reserved for normal peeping toms for women at the firehouse. Dude, we're talking about my wife. You really think I want another man to have naked pictures of her? Let's just say...I took that one boxing lesson you gave me and put it pretty good use. Oh, and I think I hit him in the place where the sun doesn't shine with my knee pretty well." Antonio smirked.

"Wow, you sure did protect her in that case." I nodded and chuckled. "Still shocked they didn't charge him with much. At least, not until they found more evidence. And for a while Gabby didn't feel safe taking a shower there unless I was outside her shower. So, I was really scared for her yet, I was glad to be there for her." I then whispered under my breath. "The view of her taking showers while I stood outside of it to protect her wasn't that bad either." Antonio looked at me, overhearing me a bit. "Dude, that's disgusting! She's my sister." He then elbowed me.

I laughed and smiled at him. "Yes, and she's my gorgeous wife. C'mon, don't tell me that you don't brag about how gorgeous Sylvie is with your friends at the district?" Antonio then blushed and smiled. "I mean, how can you not brag about how sexy and go..." Antonio then stopped going on about it because he knew it was a touchy subject. "I know what you mean. And I totally think I would've done the same thing had Gabby and me been together during the pregnancy. By the way, you've forgiven me about that right? I remember in the hospital you...."

Antonio just looked at me. "Water under the bridge, I can't be mad at you for something that you didn't know about. I am just glad you ended up wanting Matteo." I looked at him, a little insulted. "Yes Antonio, because I wasn't going to want to help raise the child that the woman I love put her life on the line to give me. Oh, excuse me and just let me abandon the child and her because she didn't keep me in the loop." 

Antonio sighed and looked at me. "Matt...." I then just stood there and looked at him. "After lunch, me and Gabby are leaving. No questions asked." I went back to working on making us some lunch, really insulted. It started to get awkward so I made a plan to just not talk to Antonio for the rest of the time we were there. I would put on an act when we leave to make Gabby and Sylvie think we are all good but, we weren't. And Gabby would find out when we got home. I mean, of course I was going to take her back and help her raise Matteo. That was decided the moment I found out she was pregnant and about to give birth. He knew that.