Chapter 747

Back at Antonio's Place - Matt's POV

As I walk over to the kitchen from the living room, I see Antonio get a turkey out of the oven to check if it's done. I smell it and it smells good. "Dang that smells good." I saw that he had some beer out and then I looked at it. Gabby had told me I could have one beer with Antonio and decided this was the time to do it. "Mind if I have a cold one with you?"

Antonio turned to look at me and then smiled. "Sure thing." He went to grab me one and then grabbed his while passing me mine. Opening it by myself, I smiled as we stood next to each other. "To fatherhood." We both laughed and nodded, quickly toasting before taking a sip. "God, that feels good. Haven't had one in a while."

Antonio then looked at me. "Yet you own a bar." I nodded and smiled. "Which I've been to once since Matteo was born. And even on our honeymoon, I was sober. The wine was not very alcoholic because I was never drunk." Antonio smiled. "Because you didn't drink much because you wanted to enjoy yourself with Gabby."

I nodded and agreed. "So, you figure stuff out with Sylvie yet? You sounded pretty harsh in there about the wedding." Antonio sighed and then put his beer down. "I am just scared I guess. I don't want to hurt her again." I just looked at him. "Antonio, Sylvie has loved you since you first dated. Her feelings are just like mine and Gabby's...they're real."

Antonio nodded and smiled. "I guess you can tell because you've been on both sides of feelings with her?" I nodded. "I could tell when we were together and trying to be more than friends that I would never worked. She was still hung up on you and I was hung up on Gabby. So, she's been in love with you for a long time man."

I smiled at Gabby when I said that. "But not as long as I've been in long with Gabby. I swear, I hated to admit this to her but...I told her recently that our spark didn't start after my ex died. It was while we were still together. Working together at the firehouse, I felt something for her but didn't act on it because I was engaged."

Antonio smiled when I said that. "That was good of you. However, it all worked out eventually. Sorry somebody had to die for it to happen." I sighed when he said that. "Two people. You're forgetting about Gabby's best friend, Leslie Shay." Antonio nodded and sighed. "How she doing about that? Must be weird not having her best friend around again."

I nodded. "She's okay. Mostly distracted by our little guy. But, today was hard on her. It was her first Veteran's Day here in a while so...it was her first chance to memorialize Shay during the ceremony." Antonio nodded and agreed. "If you guys need to leave after the meal we're okay with that." I looked at him and nodded.

"We'll have to put Matteo down and I'd like that. Sure, we've been home already once but it was just to get changed. We haven't really been home since around 10 this morning. And he's not really sleeping right now. However, I am going to tell Gabby I want him there next year. I want him to see me in my uniform." 

Antonio then looked at me and smiled. "You going to tell him any of your fire stories?"