Chapter Seventy-Six Pt 5-Solo

Chapter 76.5 – Solo

     Christmas was around the corner and Jackie knew very well that she might as well count the milliseconds that ticked before the day comes.

   Jackie’s schedule was empty as usual—excluding the seminar meetings she attends at least once every other week or her to do plans for her future.

She has no engagement to anyone on December 24th nor did anyone ever asked her out.

   With a deep heavy sigh, Jackie picked up the lying broom by the marbled tile which was thrown in a haste to head home early.

‘They’re too lazy there’s still trash below the table.’ Was what she murmured under her breath in distress, sweeping the crumpled trash and piled it around the corner to be thrown.

‘Did they think I wouldn’t look under the table? They’re gonna be reprimanded tomorrow.’

Jackie was all alone in the classroom with the sun setting in front of her and the sound of her foot shuffling was only audible.

There were few people left and the other classrooms was void of people. She had to be wary about the time or she’d be the only one left in this ghostly building with the guard staying by the front gate.

Not that she was scared of ghosts or the supernatural. Jackie didn’t believe in any of those for she adamantly believes that every ‘supernatural’ happening..has a scientific and rational reason.

Jackie earnestly swept the floor, making sure that not even dusts could accumulate and as she wiped the sweat trickling from her forehead due to her hard work, someone peers through the door’s windows, eyeing her whilst she took a break.

The man hesitated if he should disturb her. She looked quite busy and yet lonely cleaning by herself.

They weren’t close enough to be with each other, but it was common gesture to help someone..so he twisted the knob open.

She was nice to him the last time they met, so it wasn’t a bad idea either.

The knob makes a loud clicking noise and as he flings the wooden door, a loud creaking sound resonated that earned the attention of Jackie leaning by the frame of the table.

She flinches, startled by the sound just behind her. Was someone there? But who? Who would stay this late? She wouldn’t find her answers if she didn’t turn around and find out for herself.

  She whips her head around the door and she finds Oskar standing in front of it meanwhile staring at her. Their eyes lock and Jackie could hear the fast pace of her heart beating.

Out of all the people, it was him.

“Hi.”

“Hey…” Jackie trailed off, unsure of what to say.

She kicks herself off the table and pats down her now crumpled skirt as she frantically brushed her tangle locks with her bare clammy fingers.

“Why are you still here?” Oskar inquired, taking a step close to where she stood still, eyeing the now organized and neat classroom.

“..Cleaning.”

“I see.”

A short silence ensued between them, making sure that it suffocated Jackie to the point she was trembling out of uneasiness.

Her crush is here alright…but what? What could she say? She was blank headed and speechless to other anything just to stop the silence.

“Do you need help?” Oskar stood in front of her, eyeing Jackie who didn’t look at him and instead stared at the floor. Was she uncomfortable around him? Did he say something that offended her?