Chapter Forty Six -Jelly Janna Pt 2

Chapter Forty-Six : Jelly Janna Pt 2

   "Off to somewhere, Janna?" Mother peered from the pantry with fresh and sizzling tempura on a plate with tissues. The smell wafted the entire room and I was reminded of my hunger.

    I pursed my lips, contemplating to take a bite or dash off without another mutter. The soft ticking of the clock and its arms moving in a beat caught me off guard. But with tempura being my favourite, I shook my head and decided to take a seat by the dining table.

     'He can wait.' I say to myself, not before forgetting the ordeal and mused myself with the fried and well seasoned tempura.

. . .

   "I thought you were going to ditch me," it was the first thing that flew out of Oskar's mouth with a smile plastered on his lips.

    I rolled my eyes. "I keep my promises."

   Maybe it was the truth, and a lie as well. I was considering skipping it and calling him to tell it was off, then I realized I didn't have his number nor would he not wait at the station until the wee hours of the night. 

     I should keep that to myself. With a slight step, I eyed him. "What are you waiting for?"

     He stares at me, a bit star-struck, then blinked and smiled sheepishly, eyeing me from head to toe. I sigh, squirming in my stance. "You're dressed up today."

     "Well yeah," I groaned. "---my mother forced me onto it. It took me a couple arguments to not let me wear those frilly skirts."

    "Yikes," he smiled at me in pity. "--but still, you look pretty."

    I opened my mouth to retort something clever or sarcastic, but I couldn't. It would be rude to discredit Oskar's genuine compliment. "Yeah, well--it's just for today."

       Oskar started walking and I followed, passing through the sidewalk with people passing by and cars drifting to the speed of light. The weather wasn't too hot and it looked like a good time to be out.

     I took this time to realize that me and Oskar didn't have a lot of shared interests. If anything, we'd only talk about his music or how he'd pry into my non-existent love life. It didn't help that I didn't knew Oskar much.

    He's nice, and out-going--yet there's a wall separating him and me. 

     Shrugging off those thoughts, I asked. "Are you going to be a ghost on the booth?"

       He glances at me. "Well, not really. I'm more like in charge of the front desk. It's just my style."

   "You mean being lazy?"

  "That too," he grinned. "---I'm too cool to be playing a ghost."

   "Right, now stop rubbing your arrogance off me," I scrunched my nose. "--its stinks."

  "It's called self confidence, Janna."

I stare at him in disbelief and decided to shrug it off.

    "How about you? Excited to play your main role, miss Witch?" he says in amusement, eyes slightly squinted from smiling.

      I huffed, crossing my arms. "Like I would. I can't cast curses or spells, so seeing people disappointed when they realized that is sad---for their part at least."

    "It doesn't help you're not good with advices yourself," he chuckles. "--but I'm sure you'll be fine. Just say things with confidence and people will believe it."