Chapter Sixteen - An Outcast

This is just a short chapter.

In the span of a week, I’ve been  receiving death threats. Whenever I’d open my locker, it would be stuffed with letters in red colour, telling me that  I don't deserve Tom or that I'm just a trash that  needs to dispose itself.

I tried putting a lock on it to at least get rid of one of my problems, but to no avail they broke it and the threats just kept coming.

These idiots had also started to become more aggressive and more straightforward, from just scribbling on my desk to writing on the board and saying all stuff about me that isn't likely true. I managed to hid it all from Tom and Star. They don't need to know. This is my problem  and just them barging in would make it worse.

“Good morning, Janna!” Tom cheered, waving his hands enthusiastically at me as I walked close to him with my hands gripped on the straps  of my bag.

“Yeah,” I say in reflex as we began to walk alongside the side of the road with  cars passing by us.

“Is there something you're hiding from me?”

I glanced at him with furrowed brows. “Why’d you say that?”

He scratched the nape of his neck, glancing at me with  slight concern. “You've been glum. You're always yeah or something and the sort. I feel like something’s bothering you.”

I looked down at the ground and to my school shoes, seeing that it's getting dirty from the muddy trail due to the rain last night. “Nothing’s bothering me.”

“You can always talk to me about it,” he placed his hand on top of my shoulder, squeezing it gently. “--I'm your friend, Janna.”

“Sure,” I briefly mutter, making my steps more faster as to make him walk a few steps behind me. I needed to get to school first or he'll find out.

I don't want him to ever find out. I don't want to see the pity he'll give me or to barge in and make everything better. I'm used to this. This was my life even before. It's just a minor set-back. Yeah, it's just a phase.

Once they realize I won't do anything, they'll shake it off.

“Why are you walking ahead of me?” Tom inquired.

I stopped on my heel, not turning around to look at him. I murmured, gripping tightly on my straps. “It's best if you don't stand beside me.”

“Why?”

“Just because,” I grit my teeth. “—and we should talk less in school.”

“Janna wait up!”

. . .

S

tar decided that she wanted to buy some food at the cafeteria since she never brings one and while I declined, deciding to just stay and wait by the garden; she fussed and forced me to go with her anyway.

She said that she would feel lonely if she went alone and that I should atleast try some of their pastries--which I wouldn't.

I begrudgingly tagged along and hissed, wondering why Tom gets to stay behind and I to tag along with her.

As we were walking to line up, a girl with high ponytail whispers. "Look at Star, she's an outcast now and decided to join Janna freak."

"It's because she's a slut, always pretending to be kind and would steal your boyfriend if you turn your back," a voice chimed in.

"They're perfect together," another one giggles. "---freaks belong to the same group after all."

I opened my mouth to say something when I feel a cold, sweaty hand grab mine. I bobbed my head sideward to see Star giving me a small smile.

I looked at her with furrowed brows and she shakes her head, her hand still clamped on mine. "Let them be. Only idiots will do that."

I gave her an unsure glance but I don't say anything. I murmured, nodding along. "I know that. I wouldn't stoop down with their IQ anyway."

She chuckled, but her smile was not reaching her eyes. I chose not to say anything and watch as she ordered what she decided to have. I know how she feels.

If I chose to persist her about it, it will just cause pain between us. Because I wouldn't want her to force me to spit up everything---including the threats I've been having.

I'd rather turn a blind eye to it, pretending to live a happy life like she does.

This was life. Life will never be kind to anyone--especially to someone like us.

Vote and Comment for faster updates :)