Chapter Seven - Shopping

"Leave me alone!" I scream, seeing different sizes of Tom all ganging up on me as I try to scurry with my little feet. Everywhere is filled with Tom, there's no other way out.

I flutter my eyes open, breaking into a cold sweat. I calm down my breathing and let an almost scream when I see Tom in front me, his eyebrows scrunched up with his face looking concerned.

I pull the duvet up to my face, hiding myself from him. "Why are you here?"  I grumbled, my voice hoarse as I just woke up; my eyes were still tired and it stung but I'll be fine. It was all a nightmare, thank goodness.

"Your mother told me I can go up and wake you," he responds casually. "Did you have a nightmare?"

I sneer, clutching on the sheets. "Isn't it obvious? And what's worse is that it's because of you."

"Why is it my fault?" he inquired, clueless and I feel the weight of my bed shift, probably with him taking a seat at the edge of my bed. "Did you dream about me? If so, what happened?"

"I don't have any reason to tell you," I snap. "--and can you get out of my room? I don't like intruders going in my room."

"Your room is really..unique," he tries to find a more subtle word, which he probably means that my room is weird.

I click my tongue. "No one asked for you opinion. If you don't like it, then don't."

"I didn't say I didn't like it!" he defended himself. "--it's just that your room is dark; there are these antique dolls at your shelves, a rug with a star or something like that, trays of Cd with classic horror movie and the colour of your room is a shade away from being black."

"Though your curtains are black," he adds. "--and you have these books about cults and stuff."

I removed my duvet from my face, sneaking a glance at him. He looks dressed up; as if he's going somewhere. I cleared my throat, gaining his attention whilst he smiled at me. "I asked your mother."

I hope it wasn't what I thought it was. "And she said she'd love for you to attend the acquaintance party."

I let out a groan, kicking the duvet off me as I sat right-up, eyeing in him annoyance. "Telling my mother, aren't you a tattle-tale? I told you, didn't I? I don't want to attend that stupid party."

He ran a hand through his slick hair and responded. "But I knew you wouldn't go if I didn't tell her."

"I'll leave you for now," he motions and stands up from my bed, shifting weight, then glances at me with a smile. "--we're going shopping."

My eyes widened to the size of saucers; I looked at him in disbelief but he waves me off as he opens the door. "You need a dress, Janna."

I grab my pillow and try to throw it at him when he closes the door before I could, making the pillow slide and fall on the ground.

I grit my teeth, clenching my fists "that boy!"

(. .)

"Can't I just wear the usual? Jeans and a t-shirt?" I look at him in aggravation.

He only chuckles at me to my expense, then darting his gaze back to the different clothes, running his hands through the fabric. "It's a party, Janna. You have to wear something formal."

We've been in the mall for almost an hour now, and while I want to run to the nearest cult store, I couldn't. I mean I don't even shop for clothes; I just pick whatever I see and hope that my mother will leave me alone.

I will never understand why people take so much time finding just one clothe that they'll wear a few times and then throw it in the dusk. It's stupid, and a nuisance.

He grabs a silver white dress from the rack, then hands it to me without any warning. I open my mouth to protest but he grabs both of my shoulders and lead me to the changing room.

"Hey!" I squirm, trying to halt with my foot but he was too strong to my liking. I eventually gave in, giving him a glare before closing the door.

"Are you done?" he asks.

I open the door with a frown evident on my face as he eyed me from head to toe like he's inspecting me. "It's too bland," he comments and nods like he's talking to himself.

I groan. "I'm alright with this dress so just buy it and we'll leave."

He shakes his head. "It doesn't emphasize your good features. You'll look better with something else."

"Why do you care so much?" I say in a ticked tone. "--I could wear a jumpsuit for all I care."

"Because I consider you my friend," he responds, eyeing me with sincerity. I look away, huffing. "I never agree to being your friend."

"But if you're really that persistent," I try to negotiate. "--I'll go to that darn party--but, I want a black dress."

I look at him to see him with a grin plastered on his lips. "Alright. You better keep your word."

I huff. "I'm not the type of person to lie, just so you know."

"Wait here," he gives me a look before he walks away and I'm left to my own devices, sitting down while I wait. I could've used this as my chance to escape and head to the cult store, but since I made a promise and didn't want to lose face to that guy; I stayed.

A minute later he comes back, panting as he held a black dress on his other hand. He looks up to me and heads close, lifting the dress to let me see it clearly. It is a black sleeveless dress with frills on the bottom, some silver glitter and at the back were those dresses where you make a criss cross pattern or some sort.

He hands me the dress, then wheezes. "Put it on."

I didn't need to be told anymore and headed to the dressing room, putting on the dress as I realized that the back needs to have someone to do it for me but it didn't matter for now. I stare at my reflection in surprise; I looked good.

I didn't want to admit it, but I look like a girl. I've always wore jeans and t-shirt, covered the other side of my eye with my hair as I didn't want people to notice me.

"Janna?" I snap out of my daze and faced the door, reluctantly opening it and saw his eyes staring at me intently.

For a split second, I saw his eyes sparkle and I look away, feeling intimidated with his staring. I rubbed my shoulders, mumbling. "Stop staring."

He snaps out of it, letting out a sheepish smile. "It's just that..you looked pretty."

I immediately turn red, taken a back but what he said. I mean no one, not even one guy told me I was pretty. Most of them always told me I looked like a guy, a witch, a scary, haggard girl. But him, the guy I least wanted to hear it from; said it.

"S-stop saying embarrassing things!" I say in a squeamish tone, looking away in hopes to calm down my blushing.

"Let's just buy this and get over with it," I mumble. I closed the door and took off the dress, then stared at my reflection, into my dark eyes.

"Stupid," I say, seeing my flushed cheeks.

May 20,2020