Chapter Seventy-Eight : Christmas Gift

Chapter Seventy-Eight : Christmas Gifts

    "Today's the last day of school!" May hollered with her front tooth in view, pumping her fists mid-air animatedly whilst the room was thrown in a ruckus. People were screaming and hugging one another like today was the last day of being emancipated from the cells of the prison.

    I let out a disbelieved smile, watching these hooligans act like they're elementary students. Well, I'm also happy it's the last day of school for this year. The thought of having two weeks to myself was exhilarating. I could finally catch up the marathons I missed and slump all day on my bed.

  "Where are you going Jackie?" Leila asked, catching up to Jackie who was overshadowed by the crowds of people invested on their own happiness, unknowingly not noticing as she passed through in a hurried pace.

She halted and flashed Leila a short smile. "Somewhere. I'll be back."

"But—"

"I'll be back I swear," she convinces Leila, then trudges off without saying another word as her silhouette disappeared through the halls.

'Why was she in a hurry?' To the teachers' faculty?

"Hey."

I turn around as Tom is standing in front of my desk, all prepared to head home with the beanie on his head and the adorable cotton candy coloured gloves he wore.

"You ready to go home?" he inquired, peering his eyes to me.
I nod as response and kicked myself off the chair, patting down my skirt and pulled out my bag from underneath the desk, wrapping it around the comforts of my shoulders.

I heaved a breath whilst I pushed the chair forward.

"You tired?"

"I guess," I replied, my eyes glazed over my own desk which was filled with wooden scratches and vandalism. It was quite common to see vandalism on your desk. The school is too lazy and thrifty to paint a fresh coat only to be dirty once more.

"Wha---"

He spontaneously brought his hands to blades of my shoulder as he wraps them around the nape of my neck, pulling himself closer and he nuzzles his chin on my shoulder. I slightly flinch as his breath tickles my bare skin and I'm wondering if I might smell or he might hear the rapid pounding of my chest.

"What are you doing?" I murmured sheepishly under my breath, pretending to be casual around it whilst my heart was dictating the opposite. My eyes scanned around the room and found some people briefly glancing at us.

I scowl, patting his palm off me. "People are watching."

As much as I...you know, kind of..like it when he hugs me...ah! So cringey! Stop it! We're at a public place! This is not the place for him to be so overly affectionate!

"Don't mind them."

"Do you want me to kill you?" I taunted, darting glares from behind my shoulder. "—you're embarrassing me, Tom."

"Hm...."

"Ah! You're so frustrating!" I screech, growing more and more embarrassed as we stood there like fools in front of people celebrating like it was the fourth of July.

"I won't give you my present."

Call me petty and childish, but yeah. He immediately unwraps his arms around me by the realization and took a step backward, leaving a few spaces between us as he stood stiffly with a hand placed in front of his temples.

"Understood sir!"

I rolled my eyes, trying to erase the smile emerging by my lips as I lightly slap his arm out of frustration.