Chapter 3

Lucas

Ten minutes later Lucas lay in bed with Luna in his arms.
"Do you want to talk about it?" he asked and rubbed her side. Her head lay on his arm, her hands on his bare chest.
"I don't know," she whispered against his chest. A tear slipped out of her eyes, found its way down her cheek and on his arm.

Lucas gently stroked her cheek and pulled her closer to him.
He wanted to take her pain away. If he had to, he would put it all on him. As long as she was happy, he could take anything. His lips touched her forehead, her eyes were closed, but more tears slipped out of them.

He hadn't expected this.
He hadn't expected them to be criminals, as well.
It was hard to believe that Luna's parents could be bad at all if you considered what a calm and loving nature Luna had. Though he knew from the beginning that something was off with her parents, that there must be some kind of issue if Luna got kidnapped as a baby, he would never had thought of this. It didn't even make sense.

"I never thought they would be bad people. I thought they would be good," she said into his chest. Her hands trembled, her body followed. He moved closer, her forehead touched his warm skin now, and he leaned his head down against hers.

"I had so hoped that they had been wronged all those years ago. That they did nothing wrong and were just an unlucky pair." Lucas wanted to brush away her tears, but it would be of no use. She needed to cry, let it out, because all this time she had been strong holding it in. Not showing any sign of the hurt she felt by the people that raised her, the loss she felt not knowing the people that gave life to her.

"I... I just don't know," her voice broke. "I knew they weren't going to be saints. I knew something had happened, but I thought it was some issues or... something like that. Not for one second I thought..." She sat up, pulled her legs to her chest, hugged them and cried.

Lucas sat beside her, turned towards her, hands keeping to himself. He wasn't sure she wanted to be held right now. He wasn't sure what to do either.

His heart broke as he saw her like this.
It hurt more knowing that he was the one who had stepped into her perfect life and put everything upside down.

He wanted to offer her some kind of hope, something she could hold onto, something that made her feel a little better. He had nothing like that to offer and that just hurt more. The fact that he could do nothing. Nothing at all.

This was not the same as with him anymore. He had known who his parents were from the beginning and he knew his father and stepmother were bad people from the beginning. He had disagreed with them growing up, hating their actions, and when he stopped them from another law-breaking action, it did feel bad, but he had not felt like he was betraying them.

It felt freeing, it felt good to do something and protect innocent people, animals, who or whatever. He had done something and it was the right thing. He had questioned that at the beginning, right after it, but now he knew he had done the right thing, and he would do it again.

These past weeks and months, Luna had done the right thing over and over again, even if it felt wrong and as if she was betraying them. He knew it wasn't easy for her, it hadn't been easy for him. Lucas believed that she had hoped for something beautiful, that she would meet her real parents and they would love her and be good people and have a normal fairy life and not go off killing people. Hurting her friends.

Luna had been eager to meet them, but now she looked like she wanted to run away.
"I had expected to meet kind, loving people. I had not expected brutal, killing criminals." She wiped away the tears and looked at him. Her eyes were already red from the crying. "I so badly had wanted to know more. I had wanted to know where I came from and who I was." Past tense. The wish to meet them was gone. "They're criminals. They're no better than the people who raised me." New tears formed, her eyes glistening. "What does that say about me?"