Chapter 22

Luna

"How exactly do you wanna approach this again?" Wyatt asked the next day when they entered the bar in Yonkers. He and Emma had said yes to coming, Natalie and Reyna already had made other plans. They went to a LGBTQ festival a little further away and would return tomorrow to celebrate New Year's Eve with them.

"Have a few drinks, fun, maybe dance and somewhere in between Luna and I are going to ask the bartender whether he knows Maverick and what he can tell us about him," Lucas answered, tightening his grip on Luna's waist and pulling her closer to him as they entered.

They went to sit at a table, ordered drinks and started talking.
"Have you talked to your parents yet?" Luna asked Emma, who shook her head. 
"They haven't called me either and I refuse to call them or see them before they do. I'm sure they know where I'm staying and I guess they're waiting for me to just come to my senses or something and come home," Emma explained.

"What you're going to do when they don't come at you?" Lucas questioned.
"Stay with you guys as long as you will have me and then find a job and a place to stay," she answered sheepishly as she realized that it was not the best plan to just run away from home.
"It was strong of you to do that. At some point, they will come around," Luna reassured her. "And if they kick you out, you can stay at my place."

"Which is not going to happen," Wyatt promised and took her lips for a kiss. Lucas nodded, agreeing.

"Anyways, let's talk about something else. Like the annoying new task in business class. Did you already do it? I'm so not in the mood for it," Emma changed the topic. They laughed and carried on the conversation, talking about school, what they've done for Christmas this year and the traditions they usually had.

Usually, she would've spent that time with her parents all day. They would all stay at home, watch movies together, and she would bake cookies and biscuits with her mum. They would always have so much fun together, and this year was... different.

Not that she didn't love spending Christmas with Lucas. It had been perfect and she couldn't have asked for more. They had so much fun together, but for a moment she had to think about her parents and all the things that had happened this year. It was a lot, a lot of terrible things in a few months, but so many beautiful things as well.

They had talked about what she had found out about her parents, and not wanting to think about that tonight and focus on Lucas' task at hand, she changed the topic and told them how her new story was almost done. They made her tell them more about it and what it was about since she kept it pretty much to herself.

Later the boys started to talk about a football game. Emma and her silently listened to them. Luna had her head on Lucas' shoulder, his arm protectively around her waist.
She enjoyed this moments, moments where they were carefree and didn't think about the world around them. Moments, where they got to just be them, no responsibilities or missions or work on their shoulders. Just them being normal college students.

...

"Be nice. He might just give you the answers willingly," Luna told Lucas with a smirk. She was joking, Lucas knew how to do his job and he was very well aware that she was playing with him.
"I thought I'm naturally charming?" He raised an eyebrow at her while walking towards the bar. They had left Wyatt and Emma at the table to go ask about Maverick. They, or more like Lucas and Wyatt, had been listening to the conversations around them, seeing if they could pick up something. They hadn't so far.

"Only to me," she replied to Lucas and grinned up at him.
"Valid point." He peaked her lips and squeezed her hand a little. "I'll be nice, though that's why I brought you."