Chapter 46

Lucas

He was staring at the legend lying in front of him on the meeting table.
Of course, there was another legend that would tell them how to end all this. Why didn't they come to that conclusion earlier? To his defense, his mind had been full with other issues. Still was.

The girls had told them what they found after they had received another scolding from Jackson and Nicholas. It was Emma's first since she had used tears on Wyatt the second he arrived at the headquarters.

It had worked perfectly on him since he had been worried sick. Wyatt had been busy when Luna had written him to come to the ARIA because Emma could need him. He had rushed over the moment he saw the text, in only a pair of joggers and some bathroom slippers.

Now, he was sitting opposite him and stared at the legend like he did. Emma next to him, like Luna was next to Lucas.
"What building is that?" Nicholas questioned, he was on Lucas other side.
"A castle," Charlie answered from across the table.
"Very funny." Nicholas rolled his eyes and turned his attention to the girls.
"What? Only you guys get to make jokes, or what?"
"Our jokes are funny," Lucas replied monotone, eyes still fixed on the legend.

Another joke that made no sense, this time even less than the one before.
"I rather know what any of this means," Lucas then added, looking at the girls as if they held all the answer.

"You guys do know, that we don't know the answer to everything, right?" Emma spoke up.
"The first couple lines are about their story, it's history," Luna bit her lip, reading the legend once again, "I'm pretty sure the rest is about some kind of great weapon, but I'm not sure what kind of weapon that would be and whether this weapon is not Caleb."

Jackson got up from his chair and walked through the room stressed. He ran his hand through his hair, thinking what to do next.
"Alright, here's what I want you to do." He turned back around to them and focused on Charlie, Lucas, and Nicholas. "Find me that man, get something out of our detainees, and inspect the new footage." Then, he directed his attention to the girls. "Train with Caleb and figure out what this legend means."

"Done," Emma and Luna answered.
"Not done," Lucas disagreed. "We have two business tests next week. Luna has another three tests and Emma two if I'm not mistaken." Emma nodded guilty of holding that information back. "Luna has a deadline for a paper too."

Jackson took a deep breath. "You two are not agents, your lives are priority." The girls nodded to say they understood. "When is the last test?"
"Friday," they answered.
"Your deadline?" he looked at Luna.
"Friday night at 11.59p.m."

"I want you both here Saturday evening, working on the legend. If I see you here before that for any reason, I'm gonna kick your asses for not studying. Understood?" He looked at both with a stern look like a father would be doing with his children for misbehaving.
"Yes."

"Good. You two will work on the legend until then," Jackson ordered Nicholas and Charlie. "Lucas and I will work on the footage and try to find them. At least, we know that they're back in the state."

"Who's informing Caleb?" Luna asked lastly. He had been asleep when they went to get him and waking him just proved to them how much of a child he could be. He wouldn't get up and only kept saying five more minutes.
"I'll do it." Jackson informed them, finishing the meeting, and while Lucas walked out with Luna, he knew it would be a long night.

Luna

Saturday morning, Luna was running around behind the counter of Sweet Café. Reyna was doing the same on the other side, serving customers and taking orders.
"Two more and we're done," Reyna told her and handed her two more orders, which she put in the pocket of her apron.