Chapter 30

Luna

She heard nothing.
Not one single sound came through to her.
The only thing she did hear was the voice of Mr. Carter shouting and insulting. The pictures of the vision now sat in the front row of her mind. Occupying her thoughts, not letting her rest, and reforming as nightmares. She had a couple of those by now. Had dreamed about the vision so many times that she could rephrase every sentence, tell exactly what happened with precious details. It was scaring her.

The moments her mind wasn't focused on the vision, it was going back to her grandparents. She was supposed to meet them in a couple of hours at the ARIA and she shouldn't be late. That wouldn't necessarily be the best first impression she could give.

However, Luna couldn't focus on that considering that the very reason she stood in the boxing studio in front of a punching bag and let out every stifled emotion of these past days was because of the things Mr. Carter had said. Inflicted on her body.

She had fallen asleep on Lucas' shoulder at lunch. It hadn't taken long for her mind to lead her into the nightmare that had been reality. Not her reality, someone else's, but she had somehow become a part of it.
Lucas had shaken her awake, had calmed her down, and told her it was just a dream as he held her protectively in his arms.

Luna had wanted to tell him that it wasn't just a dream. That it had been real. That she had felt it. Luna had wanted to tell him that she was having nightmares of the vision ever since the first time she saw it and that she couldn't properly sleep. That her mind wouldn't let her rest. That she was scared, but didn't know what of.

Luna had wanted to tell him when he asked if she wanted to talk about it, when he pushed her a little and asked if she was alright. She wanted to tell him the truth, but how could she be so selfish and make his mother's pain her own?

How was anyone supposed to understand what she was feeling?
It hadn't been her body, it hadn't been her, it hadn't been her reality. She had only seen what had happened to Lucas' mother. Had felt what she felt. It hadn't been even her own emotions.
At least not entirely. Some of them had been hers, she knew that her own feelings had shown.
It hurt. Everything of it hurt.
And Luna didn't know who to tell, how to speak.

She couldn't focus on the class after lunch, thankfully it was the last one of the day. She went straight to the boxing studio, canceling the study date with Reyna.
Now, her best friend sat right beside her and watched her punch the bag hanging from the ceiling over and over again. She didn't say a thing, gave Luna the space she needed. At the same time, she told her that she was there.

Luna had realized when Reyna had come and silently sat down on the ground. She hadn't acknowledged her and just kept punching. She had no idea how much time had passed, if Reyna had said something, what had happened around her. There was only her, the punching bag, and her mind.

Eventually, she didn't have the energy for another punch and stopped. Leaning her forehead against the bag, she tried to regulate her racing heart. Then she took off the gloves, sat beside Reyna and dried the sweat on her body with the towel.

"Why are you here?" Luna finally asked, pulling her legs up, and wrapping her arms around them. Reyna moved closer to her and put her hand on Luna's.
"Because you're my best friend and I know you. You've been off today and the past days too. What is bothering you? You got into an argument with Lucas?"

"No, Lucas is great." She smiled thinking about him.
"So, I don't have to kick his ass?" Reyna's comment made her laugh out.
"No you don't."

Reyna squeezed her hand and smiled back at her. "If it isn't him, what is it then, Lu? I'm here for you." Luna knew that. Knew that Reyna would always be on her side and support her no matter what. Say Luna was right even if she was wrong. Reyna was her best friend, she was always there. Ever since they were children they had been inseparable. Had told each other everything, kept no secrets.