Chapter 35

Luna

"I need a break. My magic isn't keeping this up any longer," Emma declared.
"I'm having a hard time holding up too," Luna agreed and just plopped down on the ground. Emma followed her example, crossing her legs next to her. Amazed, they observed Caleb being unfazed by their two hour training session.

After the training with Lucas, she had come to the headquarters with him and helped him on the research. Then, she had come to train with Emma and Caleb as planned. They were getting better, they might stand a good chance against Kane and Malcolm.

"How are you not exhausted?" Emma asked what was on both of their minds.
"I don't know." Caleb sat down in front of them. He was so much smaller than them, but he was so much stronger.

Emma and Luna looked at each other. This would be a good moment to talk to Caleb.
"Do you know your limit?" Luna approached the topic.
Caleb thought about it for a moment. "No. I don't think so. I can endure a lot."

"We both thought about the whole situation, the legend, and were wondering why people don't just try again if they fail the first time," Emma explained their thoughts. "They know how to wake up Kane and they know where you are, so why not try again and do it better the next time?"

"They won't remember anything concerning the legends and where and how to find us. Sometimes more of their memories will be erased, but it always depends on the situation."

"So, we will forget what happened in all this months," Emma realized.
"Not you. You are good, you were ready to sacrifice your lives. You will remember everything that happened and what you did." 

Thank the angels. She didn't want to forget all the time she spent with Lucas working on this mission. They had spend more than just hours together during this and it would hurt to forget it.

"Do you and Kane become stronger every time you are woken up?" Luna asked. Caleb remained quiet. "This probably didn't happen for the first time. You two have fought each other before, so you should know each others techniques and the way you fight. You should know what kind of powers you both have. It would mean that you need to get stronger every time."

Caleb still didn't say a word. He dropped his head and kept his eyes focused on his hands in his lap. He seemed to be deep in his mind. As if he wasn't with them anymore. As if he didn't even realize that they were with him. That he wasn't alone.

Luna looked over to Emma in concern. She had the same look.
"Caleb, are you alright?" Emma asked.
A sudden wave of confusion hit Luna. They were Caleb's feelings. It was confusion and disorientation. There was stress and pain.

"Forget about it. You don't have to answer it," Luna told him when she realized that it was hurting him to find the answer to their question. "It's not that important. I'm sure whatever magic is behind all this will take care of it." Well, she wasn't entirely sure about it, but it was something to worry about later.

"It's not that. It's just-" Caleb raised his head and looked at them. She believed to see helplessness in his eyes. She felt so sorry for him. After all, he was just a child and while his birth was different from theirs, he was human. He had feelings, he was no machine. And he was a child. Seven years old, maybe. He was a child and had the mind of one. But that same mind was one of an adult. The mind of someone really wise. "It's just that I don't remember."

His confusion must have spread onto the girls because they weren't sure what he was talking about. "What do you mean, you don't remember?"
"Do you mean this is the first time you've been woken up?"
"No. I know I woke up before. I have lived before. I just don't remember those times," Caleb answered.