Chapter 53

Luna

She felt calm, enjoyed the quietness between Lucas and her.
They were in his office, where they had piles of documents and books with legends. Lucas was sitting in his chair behind the desk. He had leaned back in it, a paper in his hand, his eyes flying over the words.

Luna was sitting on the sofa. Her back leaned against the arm rest, legs pulled up to her chest, facing Lucas and currently watching him. She held a book in her hand, but she had finished reading it ten minutes ago. She was trying to figure out what was going on in Lucas' head.

Why was he feeling so anxious? So nervous.
He had been staring at that paper for the past five minutes, not realizing that she was watching him. Lucas' mind was somewhere else. His thoughts occupied with something that was certainly not the legend.

It could be about his father.
It was Tuesday and Lucas had planned to arrest him today. She wasn't sure whether he was going through with that, he hadn't said anything.

It could be concerning his parents. Lucas had been upset that they couldn't find anything at his parents' place. He had hoped for answers and found nothing. Luna could understand his frustration. She had been longing for answers too, had been ready to do anything to get them. Now, she tried to be content with what she found out and be patient with the rest.

She closed the book, rose from the sofa and went to Lucas' desk, where she placed the book on the pile of read legends.
"Are you alright?" she asked concerned, catching his attention. Lucas didn't smile and try to hide the fact that something was on his mind.

"I'm gonna arrest my father today." So he was going through with his plan.
"You don't want to do that?" she asked. Luna moved to be closer to him. When she leaned against the table, he took her hand, brushed his thumb above her knuckles. Lucas had done the right thing and betrayed his father before. Then, he had been a child. Now, he was older and he was going to be the one making the arrest.

"No, I do. The council even agreed to let the ARIA decide about his fate." Luna knew that Lucas had talked to the council without his father's knowledge, but they hadn't gotten to talk about it yet and she didn't want to push.

"They have dismissed him and Alexander from their position on the council. I'm content with that. That he loses his position and will be held accountable for his crimes. I don't think I care whether the ARIA or the council does it. The punishments are actually quite similar," Lucas explained.

"How would the council have dealt with him?"
"The council is the court as well. He would have to defend himself in front of them, he can have a lawyer too. Based on the process, the court will make a decision on his punishments. In cases of murder, it would go immediately to the death penalty."

Luna's eyes widened. She hadn't expected that to be the case right away. Of course, she knew that depending on the severity a murderer could be charged with the death penalty. But usually, they got some time to sit in prison before that.

"That is... extreme."
"Yes, but we would only deal with werewolf cases and usually those are severe. If we don't execute some kind of fear, there would be some serial killer always looming around. And just because it's murder we won't give the death penalty. We consider psychological causes for example too."

"And the ARIA would deal with it like the normal legal system?"
Lucas nodded and squeezed her hand. "I prefer this actually. He will be sitting behind bars, forced to think about his actions. Maybe it changes him too."

"If it's not the arrest that's on your mind, what is it then?" she asked and pushed herself away from the table. Lucas let her come closer and sit on his lap, locking her legs between his. He hadn't let go of her hand and rested it above her leg. Absently, he pulled on the end of her black and white chequered skirt that had ridden up slightly.