Chapter 27

Luna

She felt guilty.
Guilty to keep such an important information from him. Even if it only was for the night.
But Luna simply couldn't do it.
Oh, she had every intention on telling him the second Mr. Carter was gone, but then she didn't know how to tell him.

What was the best way to tell the man you loved that his mother was abused by his father?
More than that, Lucas was so excited today. She had watched him all night, talking to people and enjoying this ball. He was happy and she didn't want to ruin that. At least not tonight.

Luna had kept quiet as they danced, but once they left and Lucas lead her out of the building by her hand, she saw him be content and as much as she wanted to keep that, she knew the right thing was to tell him. He deserved that.

The whole time she had agonized over how to approach the topic and tell him without hurting him too much and ruining his mood.
The truth was, there was no way not to hurt him.

Emma had realized that something was off when they were in the car and asked.
Luna had lied and said it was nothing, that she was tired. Emma had believed it, Lucas hadn't. He had interlaced their hands and not once let go while driving. When they had dropped Emma and Wyatt of at his apartment, he had asked her. Asked if it had been something his father said that upset her now. Reassured her that nothing his father said was true and that he was all hers.

How could she not tell him now if all he does is care for her and make sure that she's safe and elated? How could she keep it from him until the morning, what if she found another excuse not to tell him? His father being abusive to his mother might have nothing to do with his mother's murder, maybe she didn't have to tell him at all. It would be better. Lucas didn't deserve to hurt, he went through enough.

Yet, keeping this from him was so wrong and she didn't know if she could.
Pictures of the vision returned into her mind, scaring her, wanting her to cry for the woman that had suffered under it. Luna couldn't begin to imagine where her pain started, when any of it had begun, how long it had been going on, where the extremes had been.

A tear rolled down her cheeks, and in that exact same second Lucas walked into her bedroom. He had gotten a call when they had entered her apartment and told her to go get ready for bed. Luna had spent the whole time sitting in her dress on her bed and thinking about how to tell him.

"That's it." He took fast steps towards her and kneeled down. Gently he brushed away her tears. "I'm not having your tears. You're going to tell me now what's going on, love."
She tried to push away the pictures, the emotions, everything. She failed to do so, however, she tried to pull herself together.

Taking his hands from her cheeks, she rested them in her lap and stared at them. Luna could feel his eyes fixed on her, trying to figure out what was going on, what made her upset and the fact that he cared so much about her made her tear up again. He never thought about himself, always her.

"Luna. Tell me what I am supposed to do." She kept quiet, searching for words. "How long have you been talking to my father? What did he tell you? I swear, I'll kill him if he hurt-"
"How do you tell someone bad news without hurting them," she interrupted, her voice no louder than a whisper.
"What?" She lifted her head to look him in the eyes. His beautiful green eyes that reminded her of the forest, of spring.

"I need to tell you something, but it's gonna hurt you and I don't want to do that. You don't deserve that." She shook her head lightly, tears threatened to fall again. "So, tell me how can I tell you without hurting you too much and ruining your day. Cause you think today is perfect and I so badly want that for you, but I can't keep this from you until tomorrow. You don't deserve that either."