Chapter 13

Lucas

The next evening, Lucas stood in front of the iron gate to the old, forgotten cemetery.
It was the same cemetery they had went to about a month ago, and woken up Caleb. Hard to believe that a whole month had already passed since their encounter with Malcolm and his gang.

Thinking about it, not really much had happened, and Lucas didn't know how to feel about that. Though he had started his mother's case only a few weeks ago, he was far from finding the truth. To be exact, he was still at the beginning and scraping at the surface of an enormous secret.

He had gone through his mother's case, had read the file over and over again to the point where he knew it by heart. Everything written in that file, documented from two decades ago, was worthless to him.

They stated suicide, and Lucas wanted to prove it was not.
He had gotten his hands on the autopsy, but they were useless. The body had no sign of gunshots or bruises caused by someone else. There were cuts, supporting the assumption of self-harm and possible suicide attempts in the past due to the older cuts on the wrists. There was one stab wound, but it was put under with the pack's and Mr. Carter's statements that Malaya Davis turned a little crazy after her son's birth.

Whoever murdered his mother was damn good at his job, or had strict instructions.
From Luna's vision he had to assume that the men were trained. They were werewolves, so they were fast and could see in the dark. If they hadn't been, his mother should have been able to outrun them in the woods. It was likely they knew the neighbourhood too. That or they had been spying on her for a while before they attacked.

Lucas had read the file and the autopsy again yesterday while Luna had slept in his arms. He had read through it once before he was sick of it. Sick of finding nothing, running in circles and everything leading back to suicide. After that, he had focused on the mission, on following Sam and Tresha.

The video hadn't helped much and they had no reports that anyone of them had left the country. However, they couldn't find them in the country either.
Jackson and Lucas were already considering that they might made it out without their knowledge.

They would know more if Luna's parents would call her back, but until now their attempts to reach them failed. Lucas was teaching Luna everything she could need for this undercover mission, but thinking about it made him uneasy. Luna was a good fighter, with and without magic, she could protect herself, but who knew what to expect.

He shoved those thoughts away. Until it came to a phone call, he had nothing to worry about.
He rather focused on what was in front of him.

The cemetery naturally had a cold and dark atmosphere, and the fact that it was already late and the moon was shining didn't help.
Not that it scared him.
He was used to such locations. Not only through working for the ARIA, but also because he ran through the dark woods once every month in his wolf form. It was the most freeing feeling, almost nothing could compared to it.

Lucas passed the gate and instantly headed for the church. The building was not only built in an old architectural style, you could also see that it was quite old. The colorful windows were partially broken, plant vines grew up the walls, and parts of the outside wall were destroyed.

The wooden doors opened with a squeaking sound, presenting the rows of benches and the lectern on the raised steps. The benches hadn't been here when they had fought Malcolm, but considering this place being magical, he wasn't too surprised.

His tension rose as he walked down the middle aisle and stopped in the middle, taking the presence of the room in. It was cold, he felt it, though his werewolf heat and the jacket kept him warm.