Chapter 5

Luna

Monday evening Luna worked a night shift with Reyna.
For once, the café wasn't as packed as the last days. The cold weather lurred more customers to the café, which only meant more work for them.

Two weeks had passed since her first training with Caleb and not much had happened.
Lucas and her met almost everyday after school and after or before her work to train with Caleb. They had tested out his powers to the maximum they could and there was still more.

Admittedly, Caleb's powers were terrifying and she was understanding now, why both of them should be asleep. What they had seen Kane do was just the tip of the iceberg. There was more, and they all hoped they would not see that more.
Emma had also put up the spell for their homes, which gave them a little more protection. How much protection it would actually provide was still open.

Still, training with Caleb prepared them and it turned out that it was helpful to test out the maximums of her powers and the things she could do. Withstanding Caleb's attacks became a little easier and she reacted faster than before.

Lucas and Caleb basically played a game of tag and while both had struggles touching the other at the beginning, Lucas made it to get closer and closer until he was able to touch Caleb and prevent to be hit by an attack.
Caleb couldn't touch Lucas, mainly because Lucas was way to fast.

They had decided there was no sense in teaching Caleb how to fight with his fists since he had no supernatural strength. They had focused on his powers and learnt how to fight together against him.

A few days ago, they had gotten the other four to train with Caleb, so they would be prepared in case they got attacked. They agreed with Jackson, Charlie, and Nicholas that they should keep out from the mission for now.

Other than that Lucas had been keeping an eye on Sam and Tresha, but he said they were lying low and he couldn't really track them.
That's what they assumed were her parents and Malcolm doing too. They had tried calling her a few times the next two days, but then it stopped.

The landline number from New York city had called her one more time, but it was enough for her to assume something was off. Luna told Lucas, who immediately tracked the number back and it led them to a hotel. The call came from the reception, so it could've been anyone.

They assumed it had been her parents and when there was no third call, they left it at that.
Luna hadn't tried to call them. She didn't know what to say, there was nothing to say. Nothing pleasant at least. She hadn't tried to find out more about her biological parents, either. Therefore, she had cried and cried the first moment she was alone.

After that, she had pushed her parents issue too the far back of her mind and concentrated on everything else. No one had approached that topic again, and she was thankful for that.

The chiming of the doorbell caught Luna's attention.
"Reyna, can you get it?" she asked when she heared any footsteps approaching the register. Reyna didn't respond, and when Luna glanced at her friend, she was absent. Still kneading the biscuit dough.

She put down the icing bag and quickly cleaned her hands to serve the new customers. Once they left, she looked back at her friend. Reyna hadn't stopped, her gaze was directed at the dough, seemed as she was somewhere entirely else.

Luna leaned against the counter next to her. "I think that dough had enough," she told her. Reyna finally looked at her and realized for herself that she had been done minutes ago.
"Just wanted to make sure." Reyna cleaned her hands and then went to bring away the bowl.

By the time she returned, Luna had picked up the icing bag again and decorated the cupcakes.
"What's going on?" Luna looked over her shoulder, Reyna rolled out a biscuit dough to cut forms. "You've been so quiet tonight."
"Oh, I was just thinking about the meeting again."
"What meeting?" she asked casually, not stopping her work.