Chapter 76

Luna

"I wanna do this one on my own," she told Lucas when they walked to the interview room, where her biological mother and father were waiting for her. They came to a stop in front of the door.

"Sure. There's no one behind the mirror and I will take the guards out with me," Lucas replied.
"Is that allowed?" she tilted her head slightly for a second, eyes unsure of the answer.
"No, but I don't care." Lucas cupped her cheek, his thumb coming to her lips and he freed her lower lip from her teeth. "Don't be nervous. It's gonna be alright."

Luna nodded, but the straight line that formed on her lips spoke of something else. Lucas saw and bend down to kiss the top of her head and whisper encouraging words. When he pulled back, she felt a little better. This wasn't even half as hard as talking to her adoptive parents.

She didn't even know this people much.
But she did. She did know them. She found out so much about them that it felt like she knew them for years now. She wanted to get to know them and if they said something she didn't want to hear... that wish would disappear.

"Not that I'm expecting them to hurt you, but if anything's up, just scream or get out. I cannot hear a normal conversation, but I can hear screaming," he informed her.
"Okay," she agreed and took his hand. For a little longer, she wanted to know he was here with her. Then, she would be brave on her own.

Pushing open the door, she entered the room.
Her biological parents sat at the table like her adoptive parents had. Hands in cuffs on the table due to protocol and the things they had done.

She stopped, maybe she was wrong and she wasn't ready for this yet.
She might not even have to do this, they wouldn't be in her life for the next... who knows how long. They hadn't been in her life before. She could just go on without this.

Lucas slowly tugged her along, taking the lead and walking forward until they stood right in front of her parents. Both parties remained silent. Lucas squeezed her hand. Scared that he was telling her she got it and was about to leave, she held on tied to his hand.

Her parents saw it and smiled a little to say it was okay. More than that, she saw fear in their eyes. What were they afraid off? Wasn't she the one exposing herself to the possibility of her heart getting shattered into million pieces? They could hate the way she was, they could be disappointed. Why did she care?

"Hey Claire," Mrs. Jonas greeted her.
"Hey," she responded. Her hand loosened a little from Lucas', who slowly slipped his hand out of hers. He was giving her the chance to grab him again if she needed. Opening their handcuffs, he put them on the table, the key falling back into his pocket as he came to stand behind her.

His hands touched the side of her arms, warmth went through her. She could do this.
"Come on, let's give them some privacy," he ordered. Before leaving, he bend down and kissed her temple. "I'm right outside."

The door fell into the lock behind Lucas and she sat down in the chair. It was quiet. Not the same kind of quiet with her adoptive parents. This was more pressing, like there was so much hanging onto these answers. Not that it wasn't with her adoptive parents, but this was different.

"Why Luna Claire?" she asked. It was the most silly question. Why did you name me Luna Claire? Like that was important now. The Jonas chuckled.
"I liked the name Luna," Mr. Jonas said with a smile.
"And I liked the name Claire," Mrs. Jonas said. "So, it became Luna Claire." Luna smiled, she always did love her name.

"There's a lot we have to tell you," Mr. Jonas finally approached the topic at hand.
"I did some investigations, visited your friends and talked to grandma and grandpa." They seemed surprised and happy but also unsure about this information.
"You talked to our parents?" they reassured themselves.