Chapter 20

Luna

What by the love of the angels was she thinking.
Standing in the building her father worked at, she felt extremely stupid for coming here on her own. Let's rephrase that, Luna felt extremely stupid for coming at all.

This was her biological father's workplace and she was standing in the middle of it.
People running around with stacks of papers on their arms, the smell of coffee lingering in the air, noises filling her ears.

Her heart rammed against her rib cage in an attempt to break out, and it wasn't the good kind. It wasn't the kind where she was with Lucas and he made her feel loved. It wasn't the kind where she felt good.
It was the kind, where the anxiety rose and attempted to swallow her. It was the kind, where she wanted to run and hide.

She hadn't thought this through, and that was the honest truth.
Luna hadn't thought this through for a second, it had been a spontaneous decision she had made and repressed until the moment she had started executing it.
It was stupid, crazy even, she should've told someone. She shouldn't have come alone, she shouldn't have come at all.

How did she plan on getting information about her parents without them knowing that she was here, without someone bringing her to them because she was their daughter.
By the angels, what did she even want to find out? She didn't even have a question to ask.

"Child, are you okay?" She flinched as someone rested a hand on her shoulder. She turned around, looking into the soft, brown eyes of a woman. There was no going back now.

Fine, that was lie.
She could say that she got lost and needed help with directions, but she wouldn't do that. Her heart told her she had to do this. Even when her mind told her to run. Something she would definitely do should she see her father or worse, Malcolm.

"Yes. I'm Luna Jonas, the daughter of James Jonas."
"The name sounds familiar," the woman frowned. "I will bring you to a friend, I'm sure he can bring you to your father." Luna's eyes widened. That was not at all the plan.
"Actually-" But the woman already started walking and she had no choice than to follow her. They got inside the elevator and the woman smiled at her.

"You look young. Do you still go to school?" she asked.
Luna shook her head. "No. I'm going to university in New York." She answered, giving just enough information that the woman wouldn't ask further.
"So, you're here to visit your father?" she questioned, but before Luna could come up with a lie, the doors of the elevator opened and Luna followed the woman through the floors until they stopped in front of an office and she knocked before stepping inside.

"What's up Anne?" the man behind the desk asked and looked up from his papers. His eyes fell on Luna and he looked at her as in recognition. She shifted a little uncomfortable, but didn't fail to check his pattern. A green light surrounded him, indicating his shapeshifter heritage.
"Didn't you tell me about a James Jonas once?"
"I did, he used to be my best friend," the man answered.
"Right. How could I forget? You talk about him all the time." The man simply rolled his eyes.

Luna took the time to take a closer look at the man. His black hair was styled back, his grey eyes mirrored amusement and a certain gentleness. He wore dress pants and a black shirt. The way he talked to the woman, Anne, told her that she could trust him. Luna remained careful.

"Anyway, this is Luna Jonas. She's his daughter, could you bring her to him?" The man raised an eyebrow, confusing Luna. Something was wrong.
"Sure, I'll see you later," he told Anne and got up from his chair. Anne left, closing the door behind her.

With every step the man took towards her, she grew more nervous. This was a bad idea. She shouldn't have come alone. "Maybe, I should just go," she said, letting her magic rise to her fingertips, already taking a step back, but not turning around like Lucas had taught her.