Chapter 50

Lucas

He had grown accustomed to the U-shaped table he was sitting at with the twelve more council members. He had grown to know these people, had seen them change. Today was supposed to be a good day. A day, where he was supposed to be at ease, happy. His heart should feel light, instead he had Jackson remind him that he couldn't attack his father. At least not yet. 

They were finally signing and enforcing the new laws and contracts today, but his heart felt as if it was dipped in anger and hatred. Everything directed to the man he was disgusted by, the man that killed his own wife, Lucas' mother.

"Let's finish this meeting and sign the papers," Anthony spoke. They had spend the past two hours discussing every change they wanted to enforce. It should serve to see that nothing had been missed and changes could still be made if needed. They had stuck to the discussed laws and contracts, even given in on two aspects asked by the other councils and added it into the contracts.

On second thought, it wasn't so much a discussion as it was only Mr. Carter and Alexander objecting to each point they had already decided on. It was nothing less than an attempt to prevent the changes. Whose mind they believed to change, was a mystery to him.

"Should we not sleep another night over it and assemble tomorrow. Ensure that we are certain with these," Mr. Carter objected.
"No," Lucas interfered. It took everything in him to keep calm at this point. The only thought that kept him from attacking the man was the thought Jackson had to drill in his mind before he left for the council meeting, 'He can't know. If he knows, he will run, and we can't have that.'
He had said we, not you. He was there too, he wasn't alone.

"I don't believe there is any need for that. We all had time to go over everything on our own and discussed this together now too. We should sign these agreements," Jeremiah offered an explanation. He sensed Lucas unrest from the second he walked into the hall today.

"Yes, but-"
"We all agree that we want this signed today," Anthony interrupted Alexander. "I'll make the beginning." Before another word was uttered, Anthony signed the paper and handed it to the next council member before signing the next contract.

Lucas' eyes remained on his father who clearly clenched his teeth. He was not happy about these decisions, Lucas could not care less.
His eyes found Lucas' and he would see nothing in them. An endless deep that would not let him know anything. He wouldn't give him that, not before having his answers and he might find them in three more days.

After the interview Saturday night, Lucas had gone home to hear from Asher that their father called. Apparently, he would leave on a trip with Lucas' step mother on Thursday and only return Monday evening. He wanted them to go with them, but Asher had told him that he had to study and Lucas was overloaded with work.

The trip had given him the idea. He wanted to check out his home, see if he could find something that explained anything. If he was lucky, he might find something like Luna did at her parents' house. He knew it was a long shot, but he wanted to try.

Lucas had told the others about his plan the next day at the ARIA. Luna had immediately said that she would come with him. Said that if he didn't want her with him in the house she would use that time to check New York's National Archives for any information on the legend. She also said that there was a literature professor she was going to talk to and meeting him in person would be better anyways.

However, he had the feeling that he wanted Luna with him in that house. They planned to leave on Friday morning, stay the night at a hotel, and talk to the professor on Saturday. They would also go to the archive that day if they didn't make it the day before.