Chapter 42

Luna 

The moment the two girls stepped on the cemetery ground, Luna could feel the warning.
Something was going to happen and the tense atmosphere of the graveyard wasn't helping to calm their nerves.

Emma and Luna knew it was going to be dangerous returning to the graveyard after Sam and Tresha had been here last time. Nevertheless, the both knew they had to come back once Luna told Emma the little she had found.

No one knew about them being here, which on second thought was not the smartest move. But they would've stopped them if they about their plans. And if they came here with a bunch of agents Malcolm might find out.

"Why can't the sun be shining. It would make this all less like a horror movie," Emma complained while they walked up to the church. She was right, the dark clouds that indicated rain, the howling wind, and the fact that there was no one else, did nothing to make it less scary.
"We should have come earlier," Luna concluded. It was already dark and they had knowingly chosen to come this late not only because Emma had training until now but also because they didn't want anyone to see them.

"I agree. For once we were stupid." They chuckled silently as they pushed the doors open and went to the lectern. The old book was still at its place, new dusk had fallen onto it and whirled in the air as they opened the heavy book.

They skimmed through the pages of texts and pictures, written in the old language.
"I'm wondering how old this book is," Emma murmured. Luna had wondered about that since the first time they seen it. Though the red leather band had no indication of use, the yellowed pages spoke for themselves. This book existed for centuries.

It was as if they were caught into the ban of the book. Once they started to read all these stories and myths and legends, they couldn't stop. Stopped taking in their surroundings.
Luna's hand slipped over a page filled with signs only. Signs that seemed familiar as if she had seen them before.

A sudden boom ripped both girls out of their thoughts, making them look up in fear. The heavy door they left open had fallen into the lock.
"Maybe, we should've gone with Reyna and Natalie." The both were on an event they had been looking forward too.

It was all Luna heard about from Reyna after their exam today.
Since classes had ended last week they were only writing exams now and they would be done soon too. Emma and Luna had thought about asking them, but that meant waiting longer. Especially, with the exam on Friday they would only feel pressured to be fast so that they could still revive some notes. It was going to be a business exam and it wasn't going to be easy.

"Yeah, I'm starting to think that too. But we're alright," Luna assured though that tense feeling in her chest had yet to go.
They focused back on the book and kept skimming through until they reached the last page. Luna's mind was still occupied with the signs, she saw them, she was sure about that.

"I'll open the door." She followed Emma with her eyes, then they fell on the door.
"Emma!" she called for her, who turned around with questioning eyes. But Luna was already skimming through the pages to find the one with the signs again.
"What are you looking for?" Emma asked and stepped next to her.

Luna opened the page and pointed at it. "I've seen these signs on the door in the secret passage," she told Emma. "I'm not sure whether they are exactly the same, but I've seen them there." They turned the page and found a text that integrated the signs. Reading it, they realized it was the story of the boys.

"We could take photos of it and check at the door."
Luna agreed and went to make the photos, but when they wanted to have a look at them before going, they were gone. As if she had never made them.
"Alright. The book's magical. Let's see if we can lift it," Emma suggested. Luna lifted the book from the lectern, the page still open, and took a couple steps back.