Chapter 70

Lucas

Luna hadn't exaggerated.
The forest was dead, he couldn't hear a single sound besides their steps and the breaking of branches under their feet. There were no animals, the trees were mostly leafless and black. They were dead and the heavy fog didn't help them to see far.

Luna's little sparks lightened their way as Luna and Lucas walked in front of the others. It wasn't just his team, Caleb, and their friends, there was a whole S.W.A.T. team behind him too. With one hand on his gun, the other was securely in Luna's hand as she let them through it.

Luna as always had been too curious about the stories when she had grown up and stopped being scared of them. She had done some research on it, mostly talked to the folks and read the few pieces of it that did exist. That knowledge gave her an advantage over them where the castle would be.

They had been walking for half an hour in silence until the fog started to get lighter and he could make out the outlines of a great building. He walked a little closer to Luna, his fingers touching the barrel of his gun.

All his senses were on full alert when they stood in front of the abandoned property. A rusty metal fence surrounded the entire castle but only stood at the front and partly on the sides. The gigantic castle was made of dark stone. It looked more like a mansion but also had round towers on the sides. He could indeed see eras clashing.
The fog stayed a meter away from the fence, leaving the castle to be lightened by the moonlight.

Luna walked through the fence towards the castle. Emma and Wyatt catched up to them and walked beside them. They stopped a few feet away from the castle doors, that were at least three meters tall.

He listened, listened for anyone who could be inside. Took in the scent of the dead nature around him. He took in the scent of his team and his friends. The humind of the fog, but not a strangers.

"It's clear," he declared, Wyatt and Jackson who had done the same confirmed him.
"I'll open the doors," Emma stated and moved a little in front of them, raising her hand and holding her palm towards the door. Magic flooded through her body, covered her in a violet light before it shot towards the door and opened it with a loud bang.

The doors flew open, revealing to them the empty entrance hall. Lucas and Jackson walked in first, Emma and Luna behind him.
The moment they stepped foot inside, the torches on the wall lightened up. 

"Told you it's magical," Natalie said, smiling at Reyna, who rolled her eyes.
Luna and Emma walked in front of them further into the castle, torches lighting up when they got close.

They walked around, separating into two groups and checking out the place, trying to find something. If they wouldn't be stressed right now, these two girls would be entirely fascinated and consumed by it. Luna's literature and Emma's history heart was embraced by this place and he could see it by the way they took everything in.

About half an hour later they met each other in a big hallway that had the size of a room itself. The floor was carpeted in red, at the end was another double door, there was a circular staircase on their right. Torches hung on the left wall, but they weren't the only source of light. There was something else, lightening this place.

Between the three torches hung huge paintings, there was a cupboard reaching to the ceiling by the wall that was filled with books and objects. A knight's armour stood in the corner by the double doors and a vase on a table between the wardrobe and the armour. The castle's interior looked more like an antique mansion than a middle aged castle.

Luna pushed open the double doors. They squeaked as they presented to them the room behind it. It was a living room, decorated in red, brown, and gold.

On the left were three sofas and a armchair, in the middle a round coffee table, a vase with fresh flowers on it. Bookshelves rowed next to each other on the wide wall in front of them, holding books in different sizes and colors. The floor here was carpeted too, big, heavy curtains hung in front of the window on the right. A piano in the corner by it, an alcohol cabinet on the left side next to the doors and a small table on the right side.