Chapter 28

Lucas

Monday afternoon Lucas was more successful with his research than Sunday evening.
Yesterday, he had woken up to the memories of their talk the night before and an empty bed. The moment he had realized that Luna wasn't with him, he was hell awake and out of the sheets. Her scent had still lingered in bed, but it was faint, as if she had left a while ago.

Lucas had found her in the kitchen making breakfast. Having been deep in her thoughts, she startled when he put his arms around her and rested his head on her shoulder. Shortly after he had gone to shower and change.
The two had spent the whole day at her place, cuddling, watching a serial they started together, and talking.

In the evening, they went to the ARIA to create a picture of the man she had seen in the vision. After that, she had left him to himself and went to work.

That she had been working all night and barely slept had become clear this morning when they sat together in their business class and she had leaned her head against his shoulder, eyes hardly staying open as she took notes.

Though Lucas hadn't slept much either, he apparently still had more sleep than her. The more he wished she could be at home now and catch up on the lost sleep instead of working at the café again.

Last night his mind had been on Luna's vision of his mother. The abuse she had gone through.
Hearing about it was... hard to believe. For a split second, when she told him what she had seen in the vision, he had been unable to believe her. With every word his blood had frozen until he believed it had stopped flooding through his body.

It was an unknown feeling, completely knew to him, that feeling in his chest.
He realized he had never felt this before. This kind of pain.
He had felt pain before, a pain like this too. Yet, it was different, not quite the same. Hurting in a different way.

When Luna had stepped into his life, she had showered him with many emotions that felt so strange because he never felt them before. Or rarely that he could not remember how it felt.
Felt to be cared for, worried about, loved, worthy. Worthy of something. Luna had given him that.

His parents had never done it, neither had Asher. And though Wyatt was his best friend, in a way a great brother, he had a lot on his own plate and was fighting with demons just like Lucas was. They had tackled every issue together, because they had only each other.

He was doing the same with Luna now. The difference with her was that she was trying to find ways to take it off him. Take his pain and sorrow away and deal with it for him. She cared in a different way than a friend did. She cared in a way he wished his parents had cared about him. That he had never received.

So, what Luna gave him was something special, something precious.
He had bound her, his happiness, his life, to his heart and when she got hurt it broke him. It took everything out of him. The day Sam had almost killed her Lucas had felt a pain in his chest he had never felt before. The pain of losing someone he loved so greatly.

The pain he felt when Luna told him what his own father had done to his mother was similar, yet not the same. It was not the same kind of love to begin with. Surprisingly, there was this other kind of love. All these years, all this time, he never felt that parental love. The love of a mother and the love for a mother. There was no one, but suddenly there was.

Lucas hadn't been aware that he felt this way until Luna told him about the vision she had and the emotions rushing into him. It had been overwhelming, hard to focus and make sure he recorded what Luna said and to make her remember everything.

His mind had a hard time wrapping around what he knew now. Though he could not understand why. Not once had Lucas thought his father was a saint. So, why was it so hard to believe that he had abused his mother? Not once or twice, but several times, and he had hid the truth from everyone. At least, that's what he had to believe because the other option was to cruel. To believe that everyone knew and just didn't care enough to help.