Chapter 40

Luna

"Two of your delicious cupcakes, please." Reyna handed her a note and leaned with her back over the counter, giving her a grin. Luna chuckled about her friend.
"For the customers or for yourself?" She asked as she studied the order and went to prepare two cappuccinos.

"I wouldn't ask for only two if it was for me. They. Are. Addicting," she emphasized every word.
"You're exaggerating," Luna replied and turned the coffee machine on. Then, she grabbed two plates and prepared two apple pies and two red velvet cupcakes.

"It's never an exaggeration when it comes to your pastries," Reyna said when she took the plates from her and waited for the drinks.
"It is," Luna said and put the drinks on the tray Reyna was balancing on one hand.
"Never," Reyna said and went to serve and take new orders.

Luna went back to fill the cupcake forms and put it in the oven. She returned with a batch of cupcakes she had put in the fridge to cool them. Putting them aside, she first took care of the orders Reyna had left for her before going to serve some customers in the back of the café.

She quickly finished the three orders and put them on the counter for Reyna. While preparing the frosting for the cupcakes, she read through the files again. After her first attempt to find the locations she had went back to the papers and tried again.

The only issue was that Lucas was unknowingly pressuring her now. Before they went to the park to meet the others today, he had told her that he was planning on arresting the men tomorrow afternoon. She needed to get the information as soon as possible or they might slip from their grasp.

"You're trying to find the location?" Reyna came behind the corner and watched her fill the cream into a tube to start frosting. Luna finished, put it aside, and turned to face Reyna. She already knew that Luna had gone to check out some locations this week and landed in a dead end.

"I'm narrowing it down again. I've tried not to limit myself this time. I'm considering each gang and possible links," she told her.
"Sounds like a good plan." It wasn't what Reyna wanted to talk about with her. Reyna knew that she couldn't help Luna with it and her hesitation in speaking what was on her mind proved that there was something more important to talk about. That and the fact that she seemed absent.

"What is it?" Luna asked, it was unlike Reyna not to simply speak. Unless she believed it was something that could possibly hurt her best friend or their friendship.
"We should have a sleepover again. Just you and me like old times," she suddenly said. Her suggestion was met with a confused expression.

"Sure," Luna said carefully. Then a thought shot through her mind. "Did someone say something? Do I have to give someone a piece of my mind?" Her posture turned defensive, ready to protect her friend.
"No, it's nothing like that. I just felt like I'm neglecting you since I'm with Natalie."

"I'm spending a lot of time with Lucas too, so if that's the case it goes both ways. Besides, we still see each other every day and spend a lot of time with each other."

"I know, but it still has been awhile since only you and I did something outside of work and school. We should do something."
"We can have the sleepover," Luna assured. "My place, next week?"

Reyna lightened up. "Perfect. It's gonna be magnificent."
"But that's not what you wanted to ask me," Luna stated. She could tell that this wasn't the actual topic. There was more to it.

Her friend still hesitated, but spoke slowly: "Lucas approached me at college yesterday. He is worried about you because you seemed a little off to him and he wanted to know whether I thought that too." Why did she have to ask?