Chapter 17

Luna

"We need reinforcements!" someone yelled. An ear piercing sound echoed through the room before all she heard was a high peep. Glass shattered, things were pushed back, people fell to the ground.

Luna stood at the back of the room. She wanted to move. Wanted to help. Wanted to know what was happening. A sense of protectiveness spread through her body. She wanted to move. She couldn't.

People were screaming in pain. Booming sounds were audible. A fire ball flew past her and crashed into the wall behind her. People lay on the ground or stood on their feet and fought as best as they could.

The ARIA headquarters were a mess at this point. Things were destroyed, blood was smeared on the walls and on the ground. She felt powerless standing in the back and just watching what was happening. Luna tried summoning her powers but she couldn't. It was as if she wasn't there, the people didn't acknowledge her presence either.

Turning her head, she looked into the direction of the door. Malcolm and her parents entered the room. Behind them were the Jonas, looking less enthusiastic about this.
Nonetheless, they followed the others and attacked the few agents that worked that day. Or was it night? 

A devilish smirk played on Malcolm's face as he crouched down to Kane who appeared on his side. He whispered something to him and in the next second he began an attack, a black light formed in between his hands. This was not a trick attack like Luna had done it. This attack was dangerous and about to hurt all of them, if not kill them.

Looking around, she hoped that someone would do something. Someone had to. She was looking for Lucas and found him. He was leaning against a computer table, blood was on his jeans and leaking from a wound on his leg.

"Lucas!" she called, but he didn't hear her. He was focused on Malcolm and the others and tried to get up to do something.
However, it was too late. Kane let go of the magic in his hands and within seconds it spread through the room. Her eyes widened as she saw it racing towards her. Her gaze fell back on Lucas who was about to be swallowed by the darkness as everyone else. Screams erupted and she closed her eyes in fear.

Luna shot up on the sofa.
Her heart was racing, her chest was rising and falling quickly as she looked around in the room. The lights were still on, she was on the sofa in her living room, laptop in front of her.

It didn't calm her down to know that she was safe and sound in her apartment, no one here to hurt her. It didn't calm her down at all because she knew and felt one thing: That was not a nightmare.

Her blood froze when she realized one more thing. Quickly she searched for her phone.
The last thing she saw was the date on a calendar. The twenty-fifth december. Today. Tonight.

Luna finally found her phone and immediately called Lucas. They had been texting earlier tonight and he had told her that he had been working all day and would have to work through the night. He was at the ARIA and that meant he was in danger too.

Snippets of the vision came back to her mind.
How blood dampened his jeans through the wound on his leg. How he was grabbed by the blackness. Screams of the people that were hurting echoed in her ears again. More pictures formed in front of her eyes, but one thing she couldn't remember.

Where was Caleb?
Had they already gotten him or had someone been able to get him out? Was Caleb safe or not?
He was their only hope to defeat Malcolm and his gang. If something happened to Caleb, their chances would decrease drastically. Especially, if Malcolm managed to pull Caleb onto his side.

The phone rang three times before Lucas picked up.
"Lucas!" she spoke before he could say anything. "You need to listen to me." Her voice was audibly panicked and scared.
"Luna," Lucas spoke softly and in that moment, she felt something else. Relief. Relief to hear his voice and hear that he was safe. "Calm down for me first. I listen, but calm down first." She did.