Chapter 55

"I can't save anyone who won't save themselves." Arthur said, watching Marc fall into the water.

Lana felt like she was gonna pass out, so did Layla. Lana covered her mouth in attempt to stop the sounds of heavy breathing coming from her.

Tears flowed down her cheeks, she couldn't help it anymore and stopped putting on her brace face.

Marc on the other hand, felt like he was drowning despite the water being very shallow.

——————————————————————-

"All right Rosser it's all right. Those old bones can't hurt you." A man said, messing with it with his sword.

"Well, at least now we know what happened to poor Montalban." The younger one said.

"Yes, and to anyone who chooses a path of greed"

"Does this mean the treasure is gone too?" The younger one, Rosser his name was, asked the old one as he held out a compass.

"Oh I think not. Do you notice anything unusual about that statue?" The older one asked the younger one as the two walked towards the statue he was talking about.

"The statue of Coyolxauhqui, lunar god of the Aztecs." He stuck his sword into the ground.

"No, but I'm just a lad trying to do my best. You're Dr. Steven Grant. " Rosser said as Steven looked towards him, smiling.

"Maybe so, but you've got pluck. Now let's see what we can find on our friend here."

People were playing bingo around the TV the movie was playing.

"Next one. We've got B-22 Everyone. B-22" one man said, holding it up.

"B-22. Anyone got B-22? Don't be afraid to speak up. "

Others were doing things at tables, like playing with rubix cubes.

"How are you doing today, Donna? " A nurse asked, approaching the woman with a cup.

"Be a bit happier if he pulled some bloody O's." She said, grabbing the cup from her hand to take her pills.

A man was handing out cupcakes, and another messing with plants.

"Wow.. show me. Let me see." The nurse told a girl who was drawing. The image showing a Khonshu with a bird body.

"This is beautiful. Very impressive." He said as she smiled at it proudly.

Marc on the other hand, was sitting and staring at a window. He was staring at his reflection, studying it carefully.

"Right, young man. Brakes are on. Your favorite spot. " a man said, crouching down in front of him and then leaving him on his own.

Marc looked around confused as a nurse came over to him.

"I changed the movie, okay? It's been five times this week. It's a lot. Right." She spoke to him, Marc seemed to recognize her As Layla.

He moaned, trying to talk to her but for some reason couldn't seem to form words.

She looked back at him "Did I startle you? No. I'm sorry. I'm sorry. " she said, apologizing as she looked at his bingo card.

"Look at that. You won. We won." She said, holding it up as she spoke.

"I won." She said.

"We have a winner!" The bingo host spoke as she looked back to Marc.

"I'll share it with you this time, I swear." And she walked away.

"Steven? Steven? " he asked, looking in his reflection again, leaning in closer and closer to the window as he tried to walk.

"Steven?" He said, walking towards it before falling face down on the floor as something caught on his ankle stopped him.

An action figure was next to him, one that looked very similar to Khonshus ceremonial armor. It's as if the world was teasing him.

He looked back and his ankles were tied to his wheelchair. The same man that brought him over to the window helped him up.

"You're all right. Come on. Come on. There you go. All right." He put him back in his wheelchair even though that's not what Marc wanted.

"Marc, you can't keep doing this."

Marc wasn't paying attention the man, and rather the action figure as he studied it. It felt familiar.

————————————————————————

"I know that you're having a great deal of difficulty being able to differentiate between what's real and what's in your head." Arthur spoke to Marc who was now in his office.

"I hope you don't mind, but I took the Liberty of borrowing the film you brought. " he chuckled "It was fun to see that my old VHS player still worked, Lana said that it was a surprise I even had it still."
He chuckled.

"How many times would you say you've seen that movie? Approximately? " Arthur asked as Marc just stared.

"Hmm?" Arthur said, sipping whatever was in his mug while waiting for an answer.

"I liked the villain. No tree can ascend to the light of heaven if it doesn't descend to the depths of hell." He mocked the villain.

"That's a good line. Yeah. The plot makes a real meal out of a lunar god. And didn't you say that you worked for one? " Arthur said.

Marc looked around, to a painting first.

"What do you make out of that similarity? I mean, given the production value of that film. I can't imagine that too many other people have seen it. Other than Lana, you two are always together. She says all the time that you're her favorite patient." Arthur chuckled.

He paused for a moment before speaking again "What do you think? Is that a coincidence? "

"I don't... I think." He spoke weakly, and gasped before speaking again.

"I think someone... I think someone..."

He didn't get to finish his sentence before Arthur spoke again "I know. I'm sorry about that. But remember, you're only sedated because of your own behavior."