Chapter 42

I'm gonna cry when Khonshu and Lana separate.

Lana saw Khonshu behind them and waved and the god stood for a second before waving back.

She smiled, and if he had a mouth he would have been as well.

They got in a car, Lana slept in the back as Layla drove.

Lana curled up in a hall making herself comfortable as possible in the small space.

"Ay. I really liked that jacket." Marc said holding up the now ruined jacket.

"Oh well." He threw it on the floor in the back, making sure not to wake up Lana.

Layla looked back at Lana for a second then back on the road "She's been through an awful lot, hasn't she?"

"Yeah. Her dad abused her when she was about 10, and he just won't leave her alone. This is about the 4th time he's kidnapped her, but it's never been this bad. All she really has as a father figure is khonshu.."

It was silent for a while before Layla spoke again.

"What was Harrow talking about? " she asked.

"What do you mean?" He knew damn well what she meant.

"He said I had a right to know. "

Marc took off his shirt and threw it on the floor again "I have no idea. "

"I never told anyone why I really moved. I mean, but he knew, he just saw right through me."

"He's just trying to mess with you. You know, he's trying to get in your mind. No, don't let him do that. I've seen the outcome too many times. You know, he's got this idea that he can see the true nature of people or some baloney like that." He put on a shirt.

"If that were true, I don't think he'd have a bunch of homicidal maniacs as his disciples would he?"

"So it's not true? What he said about you and.."

"No, no, it's not true. Of course not. No, he's just trying to divide us. Don't let him get in your head." Marc said.

"Every time I learn something new about you, I think that's it there can't possible be any secrets left between us. And then something else pops up and it's like I've not known you at all. " She sounded like she was gonna cry.

"Yeah. You haven't. You don't. "

The rest of the ride was silent.

Steven looked at Lana in the reflection with a sad face, why couldn't he see her? God he just wanted to hold her and tell her it will be okay.

—————————————————————————-

When they finally reached the desert Marc decided to wake Lana up.

"Lana. Lana. Wake up." He shook her and she woke up, yawning and sighing as she exited the car.

They tried putting the stars together. But Lana remembered something.

"Hey. Even if we do finish this the stars aren't gonna be the same. This was made like years ago.."

"We'll figure it out when we finish."

They tried again and again but nothing worked.

Marc got frustrated and walked away for a moment, debating if he should let Steven out.

"Let Steven our, Marc. He knows how to do this." Lana said and he just shook his head.

"No, because then he won't give it back at all."

"He understands all of this. I really think it's worth giving a shot."

"I summon the gods, you summon the worm." Khonshu said.

"Hey, Old man."

"Lana. You're.. safe. ." He stayed silent for a second.

"I'm happy to see you Lana."