𝐈𝐕

Healers are the back bone of the pack.

Four

| Vixen's POV

My mother and father wished me off to see the alpha. I was nervous and starting to grow anxious. What could he possibly want with me after ignoring me after he became alpha? Not to mention, alpha Zylon just became alpha after his father, former alpha Klondike, resigned after his mate died in a tragic war with another pack three years ago. He was not fit to lead this pack anymore.

His downfall reflected his pack and he knew he didn't need that. It would put us at risk for another attack. There were a couple of packs that wanted war with us.

"Look whose back from the dead," Knight smirks as he watches me pass him to enter into the alpha's estate. I remained quiet. He was one of the trusted wolves that grew up with alpha Zylon so that by far gave him brownie points.

The strength of their smells infiltrated my nose as I enter, looking around. I automatically desired to submit to them.

A little girl came down the stairs, pulling the lollipop out of her mouth with a loud pop. "You're the omega, right?" Her high pitch voice was annoying already.

I nod.

"You don't speak much, do ya'?" She giggles. "Anyways, big brother is on the fourth floor. Turn right once you get to the top of the stairs."

"Thanks." I give her a slight smile as I started climbing the stairs. I was a little out of breath once I reached the top. I turn right to see a door cracked at the end of the hall.

"Okay," I inhale then exhaled. Once I reached the door, I knocked softly until I was given permission to enter.

Behind that door revealed the former alpha, present alpha, and his soon to be luna, Aspen.

"Ah, you've finally arrived." Alpha Zylon didn't look up from whatever he was writing in cursive.

Aspen eyed me up and down with a frown even a baby couldn't miss. I shuffled in place, highly uncomfortable to be the center of attention. Alpha Klondike nods his head at me once I looked his way. His eyes look dimmer each year.

Is that what losing a mate is like? I didn't want to experience that. Ever.

"Mixen, right?"

"Vixen," I correct him.

"It's Mixen if he feels like it," Aspen snaps. I was taken back by the sudden outburst. Alpha Zylon quickly wraps his arm around her waist, whispering something in her ear that made her quickly get up and leave but of course, nudging my shoulder as she leaves.

"Vixen, I'm sorry about that." He smiles. "I was informed that when you returned, there was no friend. Is she not returning?"

"N-No. She's dead." I flat out said it with no emotion behind it.

"And how did she die?" He didn't like my answer since his smile is completely gone now.

"She died, falling off of a mountain into a river. I was unable to save her. My parents only found her shoe while searching for her."

"You know, Vixen, I don't like when my pack members leave after a certain time at night. How did you avoid my wolves on sight?" He narrows his eyes.

"I-I don't know. P-Piper just led me and there were no wolves where she had-.."

"Enough," Klondike leans forward, interlocking his fingers while he stares at me. "You and Piper have no idea what dangers you put yourselves in. Piper experienced the worst thing that could happen. But what about you Vixen? How are you back alive and not her?"