Port

Bob checked into the medical bay and waited for a nurse to tell him it was okay to go into the room.

His leg bounced as he wait for permission.

"Lieutenant, you can go see her." Bob stood up and walked in carefully just in case of the odd chance she's awake.

He saw her hooked up to machines and had an oxygen mask on her face. He teared up as he sat down next to her.  "Nat..." he said as he sat by her bed.

He knew the exact moment she got hit. He heard her curse under her breath, but her performance didn't falter at all.

If anything, it improved. She didn't stop.

She rose through the ashes like the Phoenix she is. He sighed and leaned back in his chair.

How odd that the roles were switched but felt so similar at the same time.

All of these accidents that had been happening had been making him realize how little time they've had to actually be together, and how dangerous it would be to say they were in love.

But... perhaps it wouldn't matter now. He was getting removed from the military literally when he got to port.

He didn't want to leave her in combat. He didn't want to leave her in the skies.

He wanted to be by her side in all the bad, including missions that could result in the demise of them both. He wasn't scared when she was around... but now.

They would be separated. He stood up and walked closer to her bedside and kissed her forehead gently before leaving the room.

The others were outside the medical bay waiting. Bob stepped out and saw all of them. They looked at him worried.  Even Maverick and Iceman were there. Bob teared up and looked down.

"I'm-" he sighed and motioned them all to come sit with him by the railing so they could be by the water. He sat down and wiped his eyes. "uh... I'm being discharged from the Navy." Bob said to them all.

Their eyes all widened.

"Because of my PTSD, and my Panic attacks they don't see me fit to be in the Navy anymore, and they especially don't see me fit to be a back seater for her anymore." Bob said as he took his glasses off and wiped his eyes.

Hangman lowered his head as he teared up. Rooster got up and hugged Bob tightly. Everyone else got up and hugged him as well. They all knew he loved his job and working with Phoenix.

Bob hugged them all and teared up. "I... I'm sorry guys."

Iceman looked at Maverick. "He's being discharged?"

"Bullshit isn't it?" Maverick said. Iceman frowned and looked at Maverick. "I'll be right back." He said as he walked away.

"Well, when is your last mission?" Hangman asked sadly. Bob smiled sadly and chuckled. "This was my last mission."

They all were shocked.

"No..." fanboy said.

Bob nodded and wiped his eyes. "And... and the one thing I wanted to do, I couldn't even do it." He said.

"Which is?" Maverick said stepping towards the group.

"Protect my pilot..." Bob said as he sat down. They all looked at him. All of them were heartbroken about the fact he was being discharged.

"We can't even commemorate your service cause Phoenix isn't even here." Payback said. Bob nodded and chuckled sadly.

"I'm... I'm just gonna go rest in my room guys." Bob said. Everyone watched him walk away.

Bob went to his room and laid down. He didn't want to leave.

He turned on his side and felt something in his pocket. He sat up and unzipped the pocket and saw the picture of Phoenix he put into his pocket.

He loved that picture.

He sighed and placed it back into his pocket and reached for his phone and called Phoenixs phone.

He didn't know what else to do.

Maverick checked in at the hospital and walked into Phoenixes room. She was still unconscious. He sat down next to her bed and sighed.

"Just so you know... the mission was a success... and well, I figured you'd want to know. Bob is okay. He really wants you to wake up though." He said as he looked around the room.

"Everyone is worried about you." He said as he looked at his phone. "Iceman and I are very worried about you. You are our girl, so we're kinda protective of you." He said with a chuckle as he leaned his head back.

"Your mom will be at shore when we dock." He said as he looked over at her. He was worried about her. He simply just stood up and left a small chocolate bar on the table besides her.

"I hope you'll be able to be at Bobs farewell ceremony." Maverick stepped out and left the medbay.

The ship had made it back to shore. An emergency vehicle was there with Phoenix's family waiting. She was rushed off the ship and then was promptly transported to the hospital on base.

Bob frowned as he watched the ambulance speed away. "Is this an insane version of Deja vu?" He said to hangman.

"Probably... except we don't know if she will wake up. You woke up on the ship." Hangman said as they all walked off.

"So... what are you gonna do now that you're getting out?" Coyote asked Bob.

"I'm going to be an elementary school teacher at a school near here." He said as he walked. He suddenly realized all of them stopped behind him, all agape.

"What?" He said nervously.

"What subject?" Rooster said with a smirk.

"English and History?" Bob said even more nervously than before.

They all laughed and nodded. "That's very on point for you Bob." Payback said as a family rushed up the walkway.

"Excuse me! Are you Robert Floyd?!" A woman said as she ran up the walkway. Bob stopped her before she got too far onto the ship.

"Yes ma'am. How May I help you?" He asked with concern. The woman looked familiar.

"I'm... I'm  Linda Trace, Natashas mother." She said as tears went down her face. The other stared in shock. Bob dropped his bag and hugged her tightly.

"I'm so sorry..." he said almost in pain.

"I promise you she will be okay..."