Ceremony

The ceremony started.

Maverick marched up to the front where Ice was standing at attention.

"Room! Attention!" The sailors all stood up straight. Everyone watched at Maverick stopped in front of everyone.

He took a deep breathe.

"At ease!" Ice said as he turned to the next page in his speech.

"Today, we are going to recognize the service and accomplishments of Captain Pete "Maverick" Mitchell. Today, he will be promoted to the rank of Rear Admiral Lower Half." Maverick looked at Ice

Ice had tears in his eyes as he started to read.

"Captain Mitchell has been a pillar of strength in this Navy. He went to Top Gun after his four years at the naval academy." He turned the page.

"He quickly became a pilot known around the the world, even to the enemy. Even though his life was full of success, he had moments where he suffered and lost those closest to him." Maverick lowered his head.

Maverick thought about Goose, and imagined how excited he would've been if he was there.

"He served with his back seater Goose, until he passed, and was my wingman for years until I took a step back from flying in active combat. He even took the responsibility of raising Gooses son, Lieutenant Bradley Bradshaw, and took many under his wing and became a father to many." Ice said.

"Today... his son will be pinning him with his new rank. His daughter would be as well, but she is currently in Hawaii." Ice said as Rooster got up. He walked over to Maverick and stood in front of him.

Ice walked over and handed Rooster the rank. Rooster looked at Maverick and saw Maverick tearing up.

Rooster teared up and held the ranks.

"Today, in front of you all, Cpt. Pete Mitchell, will be achieving the rank of Rear Admiral Lower Half."

Rooster reached over and took off Mavericks old shoulder tabs and placed them into his pocket as he placed the new tabs on him. The one star with a yellow stripe underneath.

"Congratulations, Admiral."

Rooster saluted his father. Maverick saluted him back. The moment they lowered their hands, rooster hugged his father tightly.

Maverick stumbled slightly but hugged him back.

Everyone cheered and clapped.

The ceremony was concluded and Maverick was promptly tackled and hugged by his other ducklings.

Rooster pulled from the mess and chuckled. "Guys! Move real quick! I gotta take a picture for Phoenix!"

Everyone backed up as Maverick stood with his hands behind his back for the photo. "Congrats dad!"

Soon everyone else continued to bug him.

Ice went over to the plane and took his medication as he coughed. He felt like he was going to stumble when Wolfman placed his hand on Ices back.

"I gotcha..." he said. Ice winced and stood up straight.

"Thanks..." he said tiredly.

"You okay, Tom?" Slide asked. Ice looked at him and just sighed. "I'm surviving... having cancer and being a newly promoted five star admiral is just exhausting..." he said as he walked with him on the flight line.

"I imagine..." Slider said.

"Yeah... and it doesn't help that I have this awful feeling I'm just not going to make it out of this war." He said.

Wolfman looked at him. "Do you think it'll be the cancer that gets you or combat?"

"Combat. Slider... I blew up five of the enemies battleships... they're going to have a grudge."

"Damn... that's true. Just be careful." Slider said. Ice laughed and sighed. "I'll try..."

Slider looked at Ice and looked at his smile. "Do you think we would've been a thing?"

Ice chuckled at that. "Oh we would've... if you weren't afraid of being with a man." Ice said.

"Hey... I wasn't afraid of being with a man, my fear was being outed too early." He said as he looked at an F-18.

"Fair enough. I'm only saying what you told me." He said as he walked over to an F-18 and ran his hand on its side. Slider nodded and looked at his phone.

"Well... I have to go. I forgot to tell you, I'm the captain of the USS Carl Vinson..." he walked over to Ice and kissed his cheek.

"See yah." He walked off leaving Ice by the plane. Ice wasn't too phased. He sighed as he held his side slightly.

"I can do this..." he said quietly.

He suddenly heard someone walking on over. He turned and saw Maverick and the other six. "Admiral..." ice said with a smile.

"Admiral." Maverick said with a smile.

"Don't think you're getting away with not being promoted. I know having your ranks handed to you by the president is great and all, but we're promoting you." Maverick said.

Ice sighed with a chuckle and took off his ranks. "Today was supposed to be yours..."

"Yeah but you're my husband. It's our day."

Maverick switched spots with Ice. "Room! Attention!"

All of his pilots stood at attention. "Today, we are acknowledging Admiral Tom "Iceman" Kazansky. He as served our nation valiantly for many years. He graduated from the Naval Academy and is now the Commander of the Pacific Fleet. Per order of the president he is being promoted to a Five Star Admiral for this war.  He is now the commander of operations in the Pacific Ocean, including those overseas, and on land. He is the head commander of Top Gun above me."

Ice looked at Maverick.

Maverick met his gaze and smiled sadly.

"He had every right to retire, but, he is staying to finish this war. Despite being diagnosed with Cancer, he is finishing this war to guarantee the peace of this nation." Maverick said as Ice lowered his head.

"Today, his son Lieutenant Bradley "Rooster" Bradshaw, will be pinning his ranks." Mav said.

Rooster stood in front of ice as Maverick handed him the ranks. "Never thought I'd pin two admirals in one day."

"Same here..." Ice said as Rooster placed the shoulder tabs.

"Room! Present... Arms!" Everyone presented arms to Ice. Ice saluted back. The moment they placed their arms down Rooster hugged ice. Ice teared up and hugged him back tightly.

"I'm proud of you dad..."

Ice teared up and looked at Maverick.

"Right back at you kid."