Promoted

Phoenix made it to the dock and was about to board the ship. She had told Bob not to come say his farewells cause it would break her heart, and she didn't want to cry.

She was about to step on the boat when she heard an oh so familiar voice.

"Natasha!" A exhausted voice said. She flinched and turned around and saw Bob there. He was catching his breath as she walked down over to him.

"Bob!? I told you not to come here!" She said. He shook his head as he stood up straight and looked at her.

"No... you're my fiancé. You're about to go into a war zone. I can't just stay back and watch you leave without saying what I need to say first." He said as he looked at her.

She looked so confused.

"I love you..." he said. "I love you to the moon and back. I want you to know that if you ever find yourself in a tough situation. Just pretend I'm there, and I'll be right there somehow. Okay?" He said as he handed her a small picture.

She held the picture. It was a picture of him smiling with his students. She turned her head and wiped her eyes. "Alright..." she said as she looked back at him.

He pulled her into his arms and hugged her tightly. "Make sure you come back... I still wanna marry you."

She squeezed the hug and nodded. "Of course." She pulled from the hug and pulled him into a kiss.

He kissed her back and hesitantly pulled away. "Be safe Lieutenant..." he said as she looked at him.

"I will... I will." She kissed his cheek and started up the ramp. He watched her go. "Make sure those hot guy pilots know that you have a teacher for a fiancé!" He said as loud as he could for all the others to hear.

She turned with a smile. "I will! Don't worry!" She blew a kiss as she got to the top. The ramp started to be pulled back as she waved.

He waved and blew a kiss back to her.

He watched as the ship started to pull out of port and she went further into the ship. He teared up a bit and started to walk back to his car. "Please safe... Natasha."

Ice and Maverick started to tidy up the house as everyone was passed out wherever they chose to be.

Maverick glanced at Ice and walked over to him and took his hand into his and turned him around.

Ice was a tad surprised. "Yes?"

Maverick looked slightly up as he looked at him. "How's it feel to have a son in law now?" He asked as he basically had Ice pinned against the sink.

Ice chuckled and sighed. "Makes me feel... very old." He said as he looked at Maverick. Maverick simply chuckled and nodded. "Same... it makes me feel extremely old."  He said with a chuckle.

Ice nodded and sighed as he looked over at the boys. "Can't wait to see if I'm around when they have their first grandkid."

Mavericks mischievous look changed to one of faint sadness and concern. "You're gonna be okay..." Maverick said as he walked over to the dining table.

"Maverick... we need to face reality here... I'm sick, very sick. We've talked about this... I probably won't even make it out of this war..." ice said as he placed a cup in the pantry. Maverick didn't want to think about that.

"Also... we need to talk about something." Ice said as he sighed a bit. Maverick turned and looked at him.

"Since I am now a 5 star admiral, I need to relocate. To Hickam... in Hawaii." He said as he turned and looked at Mav.

Maverick frowned. "And you want me to stay here to run top-gun as a civilian instructor..."Maverick said in almost full disbelief.

"Yes...since we're at war, I have to be there from now on. Phoenix is en route as we speak due to her being the most accomplished pilot out of this group." Ice said.

"You're only sending her there because you already have your eyes on a replacement for the future..." Maverick said as he turned off the kitchen light and headed up to their room.

Ice sighed and followed him. "Mav..."

Maverick sat on their bed and looked out the window. "Will this be your last assignment before you retire..." he asked.

I've looked at him and sat next to him and nodded. "Yes... after this... I'm done. I promise you that."

Maverick nodded. "Well.... If you're gonna stay in for a war. Don't process my retirement papers. I still got shit to do now."

Ice grabbed his bag and pulled out the paper work. "I figured you say that..." Maverick took the paper and looked at it.

He retirement papers.

He tore them in half and sighed. "Want me to stay here at top gun, admiral?"

"Yes. I need you here. And... you're getting promoted." Ice said. Maverick looked at him shocked.

"You're officially a Rear Admiral Lower Half... you'll have your promotion ceremony. I don't need Anyone making fun of you for not being higher ranking, and you've fulfilled all the requirements already... and plus..." Ice looked at Maverick who looked almost shocked.

"You deserve it."

Maverick looked at him and sighed with a smile. He stood up in from of him as Ice stayed seated.

He kissed him softly. "Thank you... thank you so much..." Ice smiled tiredly and nodded.

"You're welcome..." he stood up and went over to his desk and grabbed his medication and took some. He leaned over his desk and sighed. Maverick looked at him and felt heartbroken seeing him like this.

"Your promotion ceremony is tomorrow. Invite whoever you want. I want it to be your promotion ceremony."

Maverick nodded and walked over to him rubbing his back. "Sounds good."

"I assume... you leave for Hawaii afterwards?"

Ice looked at him and nodded. "I'm sorry..."

"It's okay. You're doing what you need to do."