Mothers

The next morning Bob woke up first. He sat up slowly in his bed as he heard coughing coming from his mothers room.

It didn't sound good at all. He quickly but carefully got out of bed and pulled a tshirt on, put his glasses on, and walked out to her room.

He opened the door and saw her coughing up blood into her hand. He ran over to her and wiped the blood off of her hands. "Hey hey..." he said as he started to examine her to check if she's okay.

She simply chuckled sadly and looked at him. He met her gaze and sensed her weakness. He could see her exhaustion. "My sweet boy..." she said tiredly.

"I'm okay." She said. She laid back with a sharp breath. A pained look was on her face as she laid there. She simply squeezed Bobs hand.

He held her hand back and stayed right by her. He rubbed her knuckles, afraid to say anything. She looked at him weakly. "You truly have grown into a fantastic young man..."

"Because... because you raised me." He said. She chuckled and then coughed sharply into her arm. "I wasn't there enough to get credit." She said as he shook his head.

"It was enough. You cared for me and you were the only one who did." He said blankly. "You would love me, raise me, take care of me unlike dad."

His mother looked at him and rubbed his knuckles. "I'm sorry.... I'm sorry I couldn't protect you from your father. I don't know why things changed when we had you.."

"I don't know why either." Bob said as he looked up at her. Her eyes were closed as she spoke to him. Her hands felt less warm than the other day. He noticed her breathing had longer intervals between each breath.

The clouds outside were cloudy as rain started to fall and hit the window softly. Bob took his glasses off as he felt tears welling in his eyes. "I'm sorry I can't be there when you get married to the Angel you've found..." his mother muttered quietly.

"I'm sorry I don't get to see your first child..." she muttered as a pained expression covered her face. Her grip on his hand tightened.

"I'm sorry I won't be there to support you." His mother said. Bob started to cry as he felt her slipping. She was silent but was alive still. He looked at her as he wiped his eyes.

"I'm sorry... I didn't come visit you mom. I should've." He said as he rubbed her hand. "I'm sorry I didn't come earlier. All this time we've spent together in these few days have reminded me how important you are to me. You were not only my mother but my father." He said as she looked at him.

"I wish you'd never have to leave me, but this is how things have decided to happen. Thank you for choosing me to be your son." Bob said.

His mother had tears go down her cheeks. "You're...... welcome." The door opened slightly as Bob held her hand tightly.

Phoenix saw him. Her eyes widened as she looked at his mother. Bobs mother looked at her and smiled weakly. She motioned Phoenix over.

Phoenix walked over hesitantly and knelt on the other side of her bed. Bob didn't look at her. His mother took Phoenixes hand into hers and squeezed it.

"Take care of my son for me... you are the best thing in his life. Keep him happy for me." She said. Phoenix squeezed her hand and nodded. "I-I promise you... I will."

His mother nodded with a weak smile. "Good... good..." she closed her eyes and took smaller breaths.

"Love you both..." her breath quickened and then slowed down to the point neither could hear it. Her grip loosened on Phoenixes first and then on Bobs.

He lowered his gaze and started to cry. Phoenix quickly got up and ran over to him and held him close. He held onto her and cried in pain.

Everyone started to wake up, including his father. Everyone came in and saw what happened. The group ran in carefully and were shocked.

Rooster ran over to Bob and Phoenix. Rooster moved the two away from the bed and comforted them as the others did the same.

Bobs father walked over to his wife and simply stood there. He knelt down and took her hand into his. "Rest... ." He said quietly his daughters walked over and teared up.

Maverick walked in with Ice. He realized and looked at Bobs father walking over to the group.

"Robert, get up... there's no point in crying." He said bluntly. "You know better than that..." he said as the group backed up.

Bob stood there. He was in pain.

The only member of his family who cared for him died in front of him, and in his hands. His father was about to scold him when Maverick wrapped his arms around Bob.

Bob stumbled slightly and felt more tears welling in his eyes. "Ignore him... I got you kid. Let it out..." Bob hugged him tightly and cried.

He missed his mother so badly. Maverick knew how that felt, him and Rooster especially knew.

"W-why did she have to die? It's... it's not fair." Bob said as he fell to his knees. Maverick continued to hug him.

"I don't know kiddo... but she will always be in your heart, and will always be with you. Remember the ring she gave you? She's with you through that as well. Understand?" Maverick said. Bob simply nodded and started to calm down.

Bobs father stared blankly and walked out, with his girls in tow.

Bob pulled from the hug as maverick looked at him worried. "I don't think you should be in here..." he said as he glanced back at Bobs mother on the bed.

He motioned the group to take him out of here and to his room. The group helped him up and comforted him as they walked out.

Maverick sighed and walked over to Bobs mother, grabbed a bed sheet, and covered her with it.

"Get some rest ma'am..."