Moments of Strength

The group was now able to move about the room. The president ordered the pilots to be brought to DC for interrogation.

Rooster walked over to Hangman who just got finished with the nurses. Rooster knelt down in front of him and looked at him worried.

Hangman opened his eyes and looked at him. "Hey..." he said tiredly.

Rooster rubbed his cheek gently and looked at him. Hangman looked beat up. "Hey hey... stop looking at me like I'm broken and fragile. I am doing just fine." Hangman said with a pained chuckle.

Maverick walked over. "Stop being tough kid... you had your first bad ejection, and got to reprimand an enemy pilot." He said.

"You've done a lot today... and the fact you were able to have both planes crash into the Potomac is so much better then in the middle of DC." Maverick said. Hangman started to feel a bit better.

"Someone noticed my plan." He said with a weak chuckle.

Rooster was still worried despite the banter between the two. Hangman noticed.

"I'm okay, Bradley." He said as the president walked over.

"Lieutenant, you were very impressive. I appreciate the effort in making sure the jet landed in the Potomac instead in the city." He said with a slight smile.

Hangman winced and forced himself up. "I appreciate it sir, but I was just doing my job." Rooster helped him stand.

"And I appreciate it." The president extended his hand to hangman. Hangman shook his hand.

The president nodded and walked over to Ice.

Hangman looked at his hand. "I've shaken the hand of a president... this has been one hell of a day..."

Rooster just laughed.

Phoenix was sitting on the aircraft carrier and was scrolling on her phone. She saw that the jets were intercepted and one crashed in the Potomac. She scrolled to see if the pilot was okay.

Pilot survived the crash and reprimanded the enemy pilot.

She sighed in relief and turned her phone off. She looked at the water and just watched the water.

She felt worry build in her chest as she realized how close the enemy got to the white house.

This concerned her. "They're getting brave." She said to herself until Junior and Reaper walked over.

"Hey Phoenix wanna come get some food with us?" They asked. She looked at them and nodded. "Of course." She glanced back at the horizon and felt as if someone was watching her.

"Come on!" They said. She turned and followed them to the mess hall.

Ice booked them all rooms at the hotel. "You all go rest. I have I stay here with the President for a meeting with his cabinet." He said.

Rooster whistled impressively. "Look at you, being so important to the president." He teased.

"I'm only in this position cause the enemy blew up the west coasts fleet admiral." He said. Everyone was surprised by that. They all simply stayed quiet.

"Go rest. You all need to be ready for anything. We're officially at war..." he said.

"Oh and Admiral Kazansky, you'll be addressing the press about this situation." He said as he started to walk out with his secret service.

"Yes sir." Ice said as he walked out. Ice sighed as the others started to walk out. Rooster helped Hangman out with the others leaving Ice and Maverick alone.

Ice looked at Maverick.

Ice suddenly fell back into his chair. He gripped his chest as he pulled out his medication and took it.

Maverick teared up and just watched him. Ice coughed into his jacket harshly and stayed leaned forward. "We... we need to end this war as soon as possible Pete..." ice said.

Maverick walked over to him and took his hands into his and squeezed him. "I know... I... I don't think you need to continue this." He said.

Ice leaned his head against Mavericks and sighed. "I have to. No one will lead it correctly. This nation will lose the war if I'm not in charge of our Navy." He said as he leaned his head into Mavericks shoulder.

Maverick hugged him tight and teared up as he felt Ice cringe in pain. "I can't stand to see you like this..."

"I'll be okay..." he said as he pulled from the hug. Maverick felt Ice trying to distance himself from Mav.

It broke his heart. He knew why Ice was doing this.

"You really think being away from me will bear my heart the burden of your death?" Maverick said suddenly.

Ice looked at him surprised.

"I hear your pain in your voice... I feel your pain when we hug, kiss, hold hands.... I can see it in your eyes..." Maverick said.

"It will still hurt me from where ever you are... so you might as well let me see your pain in front of me because, if you're going  to hurt, I'm going to be right there to help." Maverick said almost pleading.

Ice covered his face and shook his head. "Pete... I can't. I don't want to... I don't want you to see me suffer like this. It's pathetic, I've been the guy who's been strong, who's never had an issue..." he said as he winced.

"I want to be strong in your eyes. I can't be a weak leader especially right now." Ice said.

"What do you think I see you as right now!? You're leading the entirety of the Navy's fleet, flying back and forth to protect this nation, meeting with presidents and delegates, giving orders from 30,000 feet... what about you is weak?" Maverick said holding his hands tightly.

Ice looked at him with tears in his eyes. "I feel weak... I can barely breathe when I walk. I pretend I am doing okay. I barely can stand when giving speeches, my body burns all the time because I have this cancer in me. It hurts so bad." Ice said as he cried.

"But I have to be strong for our nation..." ice said sadly.

"And how does everything you just said make you weak?" He said as he lifted ices face up to him.

"Sounds like you're doing something that not everyone can do..."