Moments of Peace

The dagger squad made it towards their target.

"Alright Daggers." Phoenix said as Maverick moved out of the leader spot and switched with Phoenix.

"We need to hit the front ship mainly. They have the long range artillery. We can't take out the whole fleet because our planes are low on everything.... We need to be precise and quick." She said.

"Yes ma'am." Said everyone.

"Alright. Hangman come with me. Maverick go with Payback. Coyote do recon." She said as she dove down with Hangman.

She switched to guns with Hangman and shot up the side, damaging the ship.

Missiles were shot at the sky from the ship. They dodged and released flares which took care of the problem.

Maverick and Payback switched to missiles and fired. The ship blew up.

"And we're done... Coyote, anything?" Phoenix asked as she turned back towards the island.

"Nope. Nothings on the radar, and nothing visually." He said as he turned back towards the island.

Rooster snapped awake and groaned as he felt the rocks underneath his body. He ached all over. He pushed himself up.

He was exhausted. He didn't want to get up. He heard the sounds of jets flying back towards the island. He figured they will be landing the east runway.

He stared at the now cloudy sky. "Thanks dad..." he said quietly. He rolled over and pushed himself up. He was soaked, very sore and in pain.

He gripped his side and limped back over to the runway. Everything was decimated. He was surprised.

The daggers were almost back on the base. Everyone was dead silent.

Hangman looked heartbroken. He wouldn't stop looking at his ring. They all saw tears falling as he kept his face turned.

Everyone was distraught.

Fanboy teared up. Payback noticed and held his hand and squeezed it. Fanboy just leaned his head against him and didn't say anything.

Coyote just looked at the road to try and focus on something else other than the crash he watched with the group.

Maverick just looked at the ground blankly.

They got back to the base and Ice was there by the road waiting for them. They all out of the back of the truck and looked at Ice.

He walked over to Hangman and hugged the boy. Hangman started to sob. His cries sounded painful.

Ice recognized the pain. "I'm sorry kid..."

Hangman felt all the memories come back to him. He lost another man who meant so much to him.

He was finally going to breakdown until it felt as someone tapped his shoulder. He looked up and saw that everyone else was already heading into the building. No one was behind him.

"You okay kid?" Ice asked worryingly. Hangman looked Ice and was about to say something but he looked at the runway and saw someone limping.

His eyes widened as he recognized the flight suit. He quickly ran down the path dodging everyone and taking mind of the debris.

"Bradley!" Hangman said. Rooster looked over and saw Hangman running towards him. He simply stopped and finally felt as if everything was okay.

Hangman shoved past the people who were clearing the runways. Hangman felt tears coming to his eyes.

He ran faster until he slowed down and stopped in front of him. Hangman just pulled him into a hug. Rooster hugged him tighter than he ever had in his life. He basked in his warmth and life.

He had never loved someone so much than in that moment. Hangman teared up as rooster hid his head in Hangman's shoulder. The two basked each others life.

Hangman pulled from the hug and just looked at Rooster. "Let's get you to the medical tent.. oh my gosh your hea-" rooster pulled him into a kiss.

Hangman kissed him back and kept him close. Rooster broke the kiss slightly and looked at him. "You're alive..." hangman finally said.

Rooster nodded slightly. "Did... did you get them?" He said.

"Yes... yes we did." Hangman said as he rubbed his cheek gently. Rooster nodded in relief and placed his forehead against Hangman's.

"Good..."

"Bradley!!" A voice said behind Hangman. The two turned and showed Phoenix who was running including the group.

Phoenix ran and hugged him tight. Rooster picked her up with one arm and hugged her tightly.

"Y-you scared us!" She said as she cried. Rooster teared up and nodded. "I'm so sorry..." he said Maverick looked at him in disbelief.

She looked at him and saw his head. "Are you okay?" She said worryingly.

"I think he has a concussion... he's a cloudy... if that makes sense." Hangman said. Rooster nodded. "I hit my head on a rock and basically drowned so..." he said as he coughed into his arm.

Maverick simply hugged the kid tight. Rooster hugged him back and chuckled. "I take it enough excitement for one day?" He asked.

"Yes..." Maverick said.

Hangman and Phoenix helped Rooster up the steps and around the debris so they could get him to the C-130.

They were all going to head home on one of them. Ice was already being escorted while giving orders.

Eventually the whole group got into a C-130. Finally Maverick felt as if he could breath.

They were going home.

He was ready to be done. He took a deep breath as he looked around his squad.

Rooster, was asleep with Phoenix and Hangman next to him.

Fanboy had sprawled out on a few Seats with his head on Payback lab. He was passed out, same with Payback.

Coyote was asleep against Payback. Maverick closed his eyes and started to feel himself falling asleep.

He deserved it.

Everyone deserved it.

The war was far from over, but they defended Hawaii, and took out two fleets. Maverick knew that this was a good blow dealt to the enemy.

He knew everything was going to be okay.

He felt the sweet bliss of sleep hovering over him.

"Rest Mav..." a voice said. He looked over and saw Goose sitting next to him. Maverick smiled tiredly and nodded.

"Whatever ya say goose..."