Announcments

Maverick watched the life in Ices eyes start to fade over time.

He hated it.

Ice was becoming more increasingly tired. His movements became slower, his energy was significantly lower.

About 10 months after the weddings, Ice was ordered to only strictly working at the headquarters. He wasn't allowed near the flight line, and he had an assistant, who moonlighted as a medic, by his side at all times.

Maverick was still running Top Gun, just more freely at this point, and he was still stressed as ever.

He was typing on his computer as Rooster came in and sat down in front of him. Maverick looked up at his son. "Yes?"

"What are you doing for Christmas?" Rooster asked him. Maverick sat back in his chair. "Not much... I mean. Ice will be getting Chemo that morning, so he'll be out for the rest of the day and we haven't planned much." He said as he looked at the clock.

"Speaking of which, I have to go pick your father up. Want to come with ?" Maverick asked. Rooster nodded and stood up.

"Sounds good to me." He said as he walked out as Hangman walked down the hall. "How is everything Jake?" Maverick asked as he locked his office.

"It's going great. I'm giving them all a break. They're going up with Coyote and Payback instead." He said as he walked over and kissed Rooster cheek.

Rooster smiled softly and looked at him. Maverick sensed there was something not being told to him. Rooster looked at Maverick. "Yeah I'll head over with you."

Hangman looked at him confused. "What? Uh... what about our appointment?" He said in a coded tone.

"I can't make it. This involves my dad."
Rooster said. Hangman understood and nodded. "I'll update you on the appointment then." He waved and ran off.

Maverick looked at Rooster. "You're hiding something?"

Rooster looked at Maverick smugly. "Am I? Come on. Let's go." Maverick rolled his eyes and walked with him.

Ice sat outside of the office building in the sun. He was resting his eyes as his assistant sat with him.

He knew he was getting weaker... he knew he was. He just was wondering when he was just going to finish this fight.

He suddenly opened his eyes and saw Maverick and Rooster walking towards him. He smiled and pushed himself up. His assistant helped him up as Maverick rushed over.

"Hey hun..." Maverick said as he looked at him. Ice just put his head on his shoulder and closed his eyes.

"Let's go home." Maverick sad calmly. He motioned to rooster to take Ice to the car. He stayed back and looked at his nurse.

"It's time for him to go into the hospital. His retirement had been officially processed, and his ceremony is tomorrow." She said. Maverick nodded and sighed as he looked back over at ice who was in the car.

"Alright... thank you." Maverick headed back to the car and sat on the drivers seat. He rubbed his neck and sighed.

"Did she tell you..." Ice said quietly.

Maverick simply nodded. "Yeah... but I'm not taking you to live in a hospital yet." Maverick backed up and pulled out of the parking lot.

Maverick continued to drive until ice winded slightly. Maverick glanced at him slightly but then continued.

Ice leaned forward and gripped his chest and started to cough harshly. He covered his mouth and blood showed on his hand.

"Oh shit!" Maverick said quickly. He pulled over. Rooster jumped out and opened Ices door. Ices head leaned back and he was struggling to breathe. "Bradley call 911!" Maverick yelled.

Rooster called 911 and started to tell them where they were.

Ice looked at Maverick weakly. "Hang in there hun... emergency services are on their way..." he held ices hands.

Ice nodded and held his hands tightly.

Shortly afterwards, the medical services arrived and took ice to the hospital.

Ice was placed in a bed and was hooked up to oxygen, an IV and a plethora of other things that wear supposed to help him.

Maverick sat by his bed and rubbed his knuckles. Ice stared at the wall. "How was work?" Ice said to him.

Maverick looked at him. "It was alright. Been working with the dagger squad as instructors. Phoenix is the head one." He said with a tired smile.

"Good good..." ice said quietly. "That girl is going to have my job one day." He said with a weak chuckle.

Maverick nodded but then hangman, rooster, Phoenix, and Bob walked in. "Dad!" Phoenix said as she ran over.

"Hey kiddo..." ice said tiredly. She held his hand and kissed it slightly. "You okay?" She asked.

"Yeah.. yeah I'm alright." He said. Everyone walked over and looked at each other. Everyone looked as if they were treading on eggshells.

Ice frowned slightly. "Is... something wrong?"

"We all had something to tell you." Phoenix said.  Ice winced slightly as he pushed himself up in the bed.

The group told him not to worry but he raised his hand. "Tell me... I need something to think about instead of this cancer." He looked at them.

Rooster stood up straight and they all looked at Phoenix. She sighed and rolled her eyes. "You guys still need me to lead?"

"Your situation is more visible than ours." Rooster said with a chuckle.

Maverick raised a brow. "Visible?" He asked.  Maverick then realized she was wearing her NWUs. She took the jacket off and smiled as a belly was showing.

Ice covered his mouth in shock. Maverick looked shocked as well.  Ice and Maverick suddenly realized how she was glowing and just in a good mood.

"I'm three months pregnant." She said. Suddenly Maverick jumped up and hugged her tightly. She smiled and hugged him back.

Suddenly Ice pulled his legs over the side of his bed. Maverick looked at him, about to stop him from getting up but Ice motioned for him to stop.

He stood up slowly and walked over to Phoenix. "You... you are going to be an amazing mother." He took her hands into his. She teared up and nodded.

"Thank you..."she hugged him. He hugged her back gently.

She pulled away and looked at Rooster and Hangman.

Rooster smiled and pulled out his phone and pulled a picture of a little girl. She had a head of curls and bright eyes. "We're adopting her."

"We put the request in, 3 months ago, and we got approval. This is Nicole." Hangman said, a bright smile covered his face.

Maverick nearly passed out. "Wait- really!?" He was so excited.

Rooster nodded. "She's six years old and she is looking forward to meeting her grandfathers. We pick her up today." He said. Ices eyes widened.

Maverick was so excited. He just ran over and hugged Rooster and Hangman. Ice sat down and smiled tiredly.

"Fascinating."